California
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3 DFX
I found this on the shore of a Lake in Northern California
It's a CAROLUS III DEI GRATIA 1774
It showed a VDI # 82 I'm thinking Quarter
I was very shocked to see a 2 Reales :o :o
Excited was an understatement ;D ;D

The question I have is what is the J R after the 2r on the back of the coin?
I identified the coin in 2008 North American coins & Prices Page 415
And are those lines in the coin for cutting it up?

Thanks Dave

Attachments

• DSC00628.JPG
    DSC00628.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,653
  • DSC00639.JPG
    DSC00639.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,637
Upvote 0

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Doesn't it turn your stomach to imagine some goof digging a pocket knife into that beautiful hunk of silver? It's like kicking a puppy or open handed slapping somebody's grandmother.

Wicked awesome find man,
V

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thats a nice piece of history to see the lines in it. 8- bits..Great find..They had it marked and ready to cut in the 1700s

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
Thats a nice piece of history to see the lines in it. 8- bits..Great find..They had it marked and ready to cut in the 1700s

That's a wonderful piece :thumbsup:

I'd rather find a coin like that with score-lines than one without. . . it definitely gives it character :wink:

HH!
watercolor

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting.... A right next to that lake ??? Nice pics as well. I can't help you on the info you are asking

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
The mint mark is San Luis Potosi (PTS in monogram). That coin came a long way from Bolivia.

The grafitti seems precisely placed as well.

Alan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could've been someone passing the time, or perhaps turning the coin into a gaming piece...

By the time that coin was dropped out there--also judging from the wear--the old Reales might not have been legal tender anymore.

That's an excellent find--ESPECIALLY for your location!

:thumbsup:

kippero

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
white xlt E-trac
wow is all i can say in the west we dont expect to find such things i always want to here the story of how that coin got there if they could just talk

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Looks like that coin is a rare find,i was looking around online a bit trying to find one just like it.. No luck,but i have found all the pieces/shapes marked on the coin above,between me and my hunting buddies ;D..And they would cut them in 8 pieces of exact weight . Just like your coin.. Thats how they made change in the old days..They cut all styles 8/4/2/1/reale ......... I love it........ BANNER :occasion14:

Attachments

• pieceseightMed.jpg
    pieceseightMed.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,681

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a rare bird! The score marks are incredible! Undoubtedly done to prepare for cutting or "making change". Very cool!

Carver

Dec 19, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
M6
RELICDUDE07 said:
Looks like that coin is a rare find,i was looking around online a bit trying to find one just like it.. No luck,but i have found all the pieces/shapes marked on the coin above,between me and my hunting buddies ;D..And they would cut them in 8 pieces of exact weight . Just like your coin.. Thats how they made change in the old days..They cut all styles 8/4/2/1/reale ......... I love it........ BANNER :occasion14:
Wow Dave!!!!!!!! Fantastic find for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: RELICDUDES info on it is awesome!!!! Seems you not only found a rare Spanish coin but one that's EXTREMELY RARE with the markings ready to be cut!!!!! Simply an awesome find :o :o :o I'd be hitting that spot with a vengence!!!!!!! This find definitely deserves the BANNER!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Big congrats!!!!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, nice to find a 2 Reale, that one was probably lost in the mid 1800s by the wear factor.

I do not believe those are markings for cutting, more like someone else said, nothing better to do with their time or since in that time frame Spanish Silver was not being accepted anymore as legal tender and perhaps it was marked as to not be accepted.
But if it were marked for cutting, the two different designs from Obverse and Reverse, just do not match, nor make sense for cutting
into "bits".

Also, since it is a 2 Reale and not an 8 Reale, the bits would not be bits at all, too small and underweight. The markings look like they were inscribed much later in that coin's in circulation life.

A lot of coins found have various unknown markings on them and when ask why to most professionals the usual response is, "something to do in idle time". It is not rare to see these various markings on coins at all, especially those that were still be handled in the early to mid 1800s.

On March 1st this year I found a typical very worn 1697 William III Halfpenny that is marked for cutting into quarters.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,283

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Dons very smart and maybe right ,but where im at we find the very small cut pieces all the time.I have found the 2 reales cut and 1 reales cut just like your coin , the outter pieces and the inside pieces aswell.. Thats how they made change for the large coins 8 and 4 reales..I have seen some just like your coin in a spanish coin book but it was many yrs. ago .. Does have alot of wear but so do many we find from 1760 and so on..I just found a slick 1776..Money was very hard to come by in those days,that was standard practice in my area for change ..We find tiny pieces like they may have even cut the 1/2reales :icon_scratch: As far as the two sides being different,it looks like a easy mistake for anyone..They marked it a little off center the first time and the weight would be uneven ,..........so flipped it over to the back and got it right the second time............... BANNER

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first, my thoughts were in line with Don in SJ's ideas about the coin...and I still don't understand how cutting a 2 Reales like that (as opposed to pie-shaped "wedges") would make change for another coin in circulation at the time... But then I looked back through my spanish silver, and found this coin--also a 2 Reales--which was cut to make change...and the cut line is not pie shaped, but matches the score marks on the coin above.

2 Reales 001.jpg

2 Reales 002.jpg

Here's the one from the original post, followed by the one I found with the lines superimposed:

California 2R.jpg

2 Reales line.jpg

And the back--with the lines for cutting into quarters added as well:

California 2R.jpg

2 Reales lines.jpg

Now I'm getting pretty curious about this. The coin of mine was found in Virginia near a 1700's mill. I guess the million dollar questions are these: What was the value of these little "edge" pieces, and what was the value of the square-shaped part at the center after the four edges were cut off? I'm interested to see what others have found (has anyone unearthed an "edge" as opposed to a "wedge"? Relicdude, can you post some examples?

Regards,

Buckles

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thats what it is buckle boy..I yrs.ago in a book saw a coin just like his.. I Guess some things were very cheap back then and they would sale for 1/4 a reale so they would cut that 1/2 into..Right on the spot.. I have some shapes but my friend has really had the best luck in finding them..He has some very small outter parts of 1 and 2 reales that show the coin at the top to a tee.I will try and see him and post soon. Good work on the picture above ,i think we can all understand..

Attachments

• c784_1_b.jpg
    c784_1_b.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 4cf0_0.jpg
    4cf0_0.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,064

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
Thats what it is buckle boy..I yrs.ago in a book saw a coin just like his.. I Guess some things were very cheap back then and they would sale for 1/2 a reale so they would cut that 1/2 into..Right on the spot.. I have some   shapes but my friend has really had the best luck in finding them..He has some very small outter parts  of 1 and 2 reales that show the coin at the top to a tee.I will try and see him and post soon. Good work on the picture above ,i think we can all understand..

So each piece is a 1/4 real?  Wouldn't the edge pieces be under-weight?

I look forward to seeing your friend's examples. 

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread