MONSTER SILVER....Found the BIG SISTER to the 2 Barber halves from last week.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading to work because I have a 5:30 fitness training appointment...but I had to post this monster lady. I just got back about 45 minutes ago...and NO WAY I could go to work until I got the before and after pics...and posted this big old lady :thumbsup:
I went back to the "Twighlight Zone" site that has now coughed up 10 coins...the newest date being the 1906 Barber Half last week.
It gave me about 2 hours of hunt time today before the interference took over again :sad10:
I wasn't 30 minutes into the hunt when I got a very...and I mean very iffy silver hit...but the depth meter was buried. :thumbsup: It only hit in one direction and from one angle..but it just sounded so sweet for that split second that I gave it a shot. ::) Problem was that when I hit pinpoint...the cursor went straight upper left corner. ??? I told you guys in my last post I was going back here and dig ANYthing that made a peep...and this one not only peeped...but it peeped like silver :icon_sunny:
I was able to pinpoint slightly even through the interference but I still dug a big plug because of the depth..and because of the amazing coins that I have already plucked from this crazy site. I dug a 9" deep plug and then prayed as I ran the probe....NULLSVILLE . :dontknow: Went ahead and switched over to pinpoint with the probe and sure enough...nasty old rusty nail. I just stuck it in my pouch. :-[ Oh well...no big deal cause' if you want the deepies...you gotta' take some chances. I went ahead and filled in the deep hole and was really disappointed because that slight peep sounded too good to fool me ::)
Went ahead as I always do and re-swept the coil over the filled hole one more time before walking away...and BINGO :thumbsup: This time the signal was a little more than a peep...and it hit from more angles. :tongue3: I RE-dug the plug to about 10"and ran the probe one more time. Man did it sing! :thumbsup:
It blew my ears off at 10" down but still nulled out when I moved it off the center of the silver hit. I knew I had something good because of the way the probe sang and also the depth...even though it nulled off the center. :wink: I dug another big clod out of the hole as to be sure not to damage whatever it was. At this point I was a full 12" down...and the Lesche handle tip was parallel with the ground level.
I picked up the clod...and carefully removed some dirt...which exposed the tip of a big nail. I then removed some more dirt from around the nail and saw what we all dream about....a BIG SILVER rim. :headbang: I thought..yippee...I got me another Barber Half...which would be my third in 10 days. I removed more dirt from the clod and boy was I WRONG! :hello2: I first saw the rusty nail laying right accross the back left side of the big silver coin...then the hole clod just fell apart. Out pops a SILVER MORGAN DOLLAR from a foot deep. :occasion14: Good thing there was a restroom close by ;D
What an unbelievable experience. I just had a feeling that after finding two barber halves...that there just might be more big silver hiding there. Not in my wildest dreams though...did I expect this monster silver lady. I truly can't explain the feeling I had when it popped out of the clod. :sunny:
You can see in the pic...exactly where the big rusty nail was setting directly accross the back left side and through the word "America"...which explains the good hit...but then slight null.
It still amazes me that the SE hit this at 12" down with a first rusty nail 3" above it...THEN a second big rusty nail laying right on the coin. :thumbsup:
Thank you all for sharing this with me. :angel7:

Attachments

• dollar1.jpg
    dollar1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,774
  • dollar2.jpg
    dollar2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,774
  • dollar3.jpg
    dollar3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,758
  • dollar4.jpg
    dollar4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,770
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find!!!d2

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are one persistant man SF.....Great story and Great find :thumbsup: I love a family reunion!!!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Re: MONSTER SILVER....Found the BIG SISTER to the 2 Barber halves from last week

That's a very beautiful barber! I haven't found one yet, Congrats! :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: MONSTER SILVER....Found the BIG SISTER to the 2 Barber halves from last week

Way to go. Great silver dollar.
Dman

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Bryce!! Another "Killer" coin from that spot!! What's next? How about a gold coin? Make sure you dig any deep low conductors at that site, when all the high hits are hard to come by. Although I would have to imagine if you found a Morgan at 12", the smaller gold will be even deeper. :-\

Congrats on your Morgan!! You really earned that deepie! I'm still searching for my first one!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Big Guy, it is good to see that the "Zone" is coughing up the goodies for you. A Morgan dolla (dollar) is a suuuuuuuuuuper good find, buddy! Your patience and determination to find the "oldies" that others have missed is unparalleled!!!!! :thumbsup:

Kyle

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome find silverfreak :o that morgan is a beautie :thumbsup:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
same thing happend to me last week. I got a decent hit dug down and pulled out a nail, rechecked the hole and there was a nice bang. No silver bitu i did get a nice 1788 CT copper. That silver had to be amazing, BIG CONGRATS

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. :o Beautiful Morgan. :icon_sunny: You must still be on cloud nine. :icon_king:

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

you are making us all puke no matter what nice stuff we say! happy for you. beautiful!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

BANNER!!!!!!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
CONGRATULATIONS DUDE! This definatly is the best thing you have found since I have started reading your posts! The SE is a wonderfull machine! I wish you good luck on many of your other hunts! The coin looks to be in pretty good condition! :thumbsup:

trhunter1

Oct 28, 2007
St Joseph County, MI
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum II / ETrac / Excalibur II

That is a beeeuteeefull coin!! Congratulations!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions