It had to happen sometime...

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I've been hunting this local elementary school at least a couple times a week for a month. It was built in 1936, and alot of the original ground is the same as it was back then (based on some photographs I found). To date, I've pulled about 15-20 bucks in clad, in addition to about a dozen wheaties dating all the way back to the 20's. What I hadn't found was any silver... couple '65 roosies and washingtons, but no silver :( . Couldn't understand it. Old wheaties, but not even a '64 silver?

Changed today tho; I was out in the middle of the soccer field when I got the common (for the field) signal for penny/dime. It was dusk, so I dug pretty quickly, and actually had to look in the dirt around the hole for the coin. Turned out to be a (I found out later) VERY nice 1942 Merc. Packed up, went home and popped it in my ultrasonic cleaner; finally got a good look at it when it came out.

The back is Incredible. Every reed is visible, every leaf. Even the ridging on the edge is clear.

The front, however, seems to have lost a fight with my digging knife :crybaby2: Took one right across the forehead.

Well, had to happen sometime, and I'm glad I learned my lesson on digging slowly/carefully on a merc, and not anything older. :icon_salut:

HH

Attachments

• 1942 Mercury Dime - Back HQ.jpg
    1942 Mercury Dime - Back HQ.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 442
  • 1942 Mercury Dime - Front HQ.jpg
    1942 Mercury Dime - Front HQ.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
That is one NICE Merc! Congrats on your first silver from the School! :thumbsup: But OOUUCCHH! That sure is one BIG gash across the lady! Oh well, lesson learned and you still have a very nice coin :D

HH, Kiko

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Good looking Merc, you got there, Slyth. It's a shame about the head wound but we all get careless and in a hurry at times. Anyway, there's got to be more in that school yard. Keep at it and work the area slow.

FL Junkman

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Wow, you sure killed that Lady!! I can show you a couple I've maimed myself and never happy to do it!! She sure was a beauty tho!!

skatergod6262

May 18, 2008
utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
that's a pretty merc :thumbsup:that sucks you hit it tho :icon_scratch: they are my favorite coin
nice piece of silver tho.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us have scratched a coin or two so keep digging and congrats on that silver.

Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread