Third Hunt and Third 1700s Copper....1771!!!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Third Hunt and Third 1700's Copper....1771!!!

Joe and I hit the site at just before sunrise, with the mist
still coming down. @0 minutes in I unearth this lare Copper,
and turn to look for Joe, to let him know, and he was walking
up to me with a GRIN and his own Copper.

IMG_3864.jpg

That was my most significant find of the day. Here are a few
"cleaned up" shots for those of you that are experts in the area
of colonial coppers (Don and Ironpatch and anyone else).
Maybe you guys can steer me right before I call this one
by name.
I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't make counterfeits at this
location. Along with my 3 imitations, Howard and Joe have
both found what appear to be planchets. Clean as a whistle.
Not just unreadable, but clean and smooth.

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Third Hunt and Third 1700's Copper

Congrats on having such a great spot to hunt. Most likely another KGIII Halfpenny(counterfeit of course), the smooth coins you mention, it would be nice to know if they are absolutely smooth or if there is an possible outline of a bust on one side. Reason being, if they are worn smooth but in rather good condition otherwise they might be William III coppers. A high percentage of them are worn smooth or 90% or more smooth with the Reverse side usually being smooth before all of the Obverse (Bust side) goes smooth. They were in circulation for so long that is the reason for the being worn out and they were substantial and Regal coins so they held up for a long time.

I attached a photo of 3 of my William III coppers to show what could possibly be left on the Obverse side, usually the left side of the bust and the ribbons a and some lettering are the last to wear off these coins, the Reverse on all three of these are worn smooth.

Don

Attachments

• William examples.jpg
    William examples.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 933
  • William examples.jpg
    William examples.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 913

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks to be a Counterfeit, looks a little funky. Most British halfpennies you will dig will be according to Don's contacts research.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, I'm slow.

Look at the trident, seems a little long huh?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds, good story!

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Don in SJ said:
Congrats on having such a great spot to hunt. Most likely another KGIII Halfpenny(counterfeit of course), the smooth coins you mention, it would be nice to know if they are absolutely smooth or if there is an possible outline of a bust on one side. Reason being, if they are worn smooth but in rather good condition otherwise they might be William III coppers. A high percentage of them are worn smooth or 90% or more smooth with the Reverse side usually being smooth before all of the Obverse (Bust side) goes smooth. They were in circulation for so long that is the reason for the being worn out and they were substantial and Regal coins so they held up for a long time.

I attached a photo of 3 of my William III coppers to show what could possibly be left on the Obverse side, usually the left side of the bust and the ribbons a and some lettering are the last to wear off these coins, the Reverse on all three of these are worn smooth.

Don

Joe, Civilman, is going to post photos of his on this thread.
We could not see one iota of a mark on his.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome Job once again Ty....And since you're not saying anything( because I asked you to ::) ),this is the same spot I hunted last weekend and didn't get quite as close to the wire fence as you did....."Just My Luck".Killing me on the Ijun's.....You're killing me on the "Copper's" dude!!!!

Here's a pic of what Ty's talikng about,this is the second one with absolutely no detail whatsoever!!!!........Wierd!!!!

Attachments

• P7040008.JPG
    P7040008.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 830
  • P7040009.JPG
    P7040009.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 839

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Awesome Job once again Ty....And since you're not saying anything( because I asked you to ::) ),this is the same spot I hunted last weekend and didn't get quite as close to the wire fence as you did....."Just My Luck".Killing me on the Ijun's.....You're killing me on the "Copper's" dude!!!!

Here's a pic of what Ty's talikng about,this is the second one with absolutely no detail whatsoever!!!!........Wierd!!!!

Nothing weird about that, I have a whole collection of em. Just the way it goes, unfortunately.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
civilman1 said:

Nothing weird about that, I have a whole collection of em. Just the way it goes, unfortunately.
Like I said.....Just My Luck!!! Happy 4th Iron!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ironpatch , agreed, trident is long.

Ty, I wish you guys would get a scale that weighs in grams/grains, I have a bunch of William III coppers and most of the ones that are nearly blank weigh in at 125-150 grains with the majority in the 130 range. The diameter around 28-28.2mm. No counterfeit KGIII's I have are anywhere near that weight, so even if blank and they weigh in that range, a very good possibilty that they are William III coppers. 1695-1701.

Without a scale, compare with any of the counterfeit KGIII coppers and see if the blanks are thicker, the same, or thinner than the KGIII counterfeits. A William III worn smooth will still be thicker than a KGIII.

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Looks to be a Counterfeit, looks a little funky. Most British halfpennies you will dig will be according to Don's contacts research.
:D :D :D

Must be the first time King George was called Funky :)

I agree with everyone, its another counterfeit. But sill a good find :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funky George-- kind of has a nice sound to the phrase :icon_king:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
:D :D :D

Must be the first time King George was called Funky :)

I agree with everyone, its another counterfeit. But sill a good find :thumbsup:

No I said it about a month ago. :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Iron Patch said:
civilman1 said:

Like I said.....Just My Luck!!! Happy 4th Iron!!!

I'm not American so back at you, I do appreciate the history though.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Don in SJ said:

Ty, I wish you guys would get a scale that weighs in grams/grains, I have a bunch of William III coppers and most of the ones that are nearly blank weigh in at 125-150 grains with the majority in the 130 range. The diameter around 28-28.2mm. No counterfeit KGIII's I have are anywhere near that weight, so even if blank and they weigh in that range, a very good possibilty that they are William III coppers. 1695-1701.

Without a scale, compare with any of the counterfeit KGIII coppers and see if the blanks are thicker, the same, or thinner than the KGIII counterfeits. A William III worn smooth will still be thicker than a KGIII.

Don
Hey Don......The "blank one" I found today (pictured) is 1.7mm thick and 28.4mm in circumfrence.Hope this will help.....

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Don in SJ said:

Don

Don, I will pick up a scale as soon as I find one and let you
know so you can let me know. I, obviously, am still learning.
All this is still new to me, but I appreciate all of the information
you guys are giving me!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Civilman, the dimensions are in the ballpark, except that the 28.4 is a tad larger than most of mine. (I am using a digital caliper that I do not have total trust in it.) But is in the size range of some of the KGIII coppers I have with most thickness being a tad less but I did find one that matched yours, so without any detail, and no known weight, cannot say whether it is a William III or a KG copper. Again, weight would most likely eliminate a KGIII counterfeit if it were in the 130 grain range. If in the below 125 grains than most likely a KGIII counterfeit. (Weight in grams would suffice sine conversion charts are on the internet)

Here were some of my William III readings: (none are totally blank, but almost) :)

Diameter Thickness
28.3 1.9
28.6 1.8
28.0 1.6
28.0 1.9
28.0 1.6
28.0 1.6
28.0 1.7

KGIII coppers- none are blank

26.0 1.4
28.2 1.7 (not a blank)
26.7 1.2
28.6 1.8 (not a blank)
26.4 1.3
28.3 1.6
28.0 1.5
28.0 1.5

Don

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank's Don.....I know this is Ty's thread so I'll get a weight Mon. and let you and Ty know.....Happy 4th Man!!!!!!

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Don in SJ said:
Civilman, the dimensions are in the ballpark, except that the 28.4 is a tad larger than most of mine. (I am using a digital caliper that I do not have total trust in it.) But is in the size range of some of the KGIII coppers I have with most thickness being a tad less but I did find one that matched yours, so without any detail, and no known weight, cannot say whether it is a William III or a KG copper. Again, weight would most likely eliminate a KGIII counterfeit if it were in the 130 grain range. If in the below 125 grains than most likely a KGIII counterfeit. (Weight in grams would suffice sine conversion charts are on the internet)

Here were some of my William III readings: (none are totally blank, but almost) :)

Diameter Thickness
28.3 1.9
28.6 1.8
28.0 1.6
28.0 1.9
28.0 1.6
28.0 1.6
28.0 1.7

KGIII coppers- none are blank

26.0 1.4
28.2 1.7 (not a blank)
26.7 1.2
28.6 1.8 (not a blank)
26.4 1.3
28.3 1.6
28.0 1.5
28.0 1.5

Don

Thanks for this list, that will clear some things up for me.

Joe and I both see the 177 very clearly, the last looks to be
a 1..............is that possible?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

very nice job on the old copper!!! :thumbsup: Those coins look huge in the pictures!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread