3 German helmets, 1handgrenade, piece of 1mine, ww2

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Went to my little pond again today, surprise surprise- i ended up with three more helmets, one more stickgrenade, and the bottom of a small mine of some sort.

Unbelivable all you can find if you have some patience.

I havent cleaned the items, just left them outside in the rain until later today.
(I can take more photos later if someone likes to see the stuff cleaned)

Hope you all get inspired.

Happy hunting everyone. :wink:

Attachments

• JULI-001-3hjelm-a.jpg
    JULI-001-3hjelm-a.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,097
Upvote 2

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Great Finds! And yes, please take more photos! I love seeing finds from WWII - would like to try hunting some sites in the future! Also, you should take a few pics of the pond you hunt, would love to see where this great stuff comes out of!

HH, Kiko

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Yes some pictures of the pond would be nice. Also, any history of the area would be great. I was wondering why these items would be located in a pond? I can see getting ride of ordenance, but why helmets? Was there a battle there? Were the Germans crossing the pond and got caught in some crossfire? Finds are very interesting but any additional information with pictures would be nice. Thanks for sharing.
HH,
Roy

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I knew there had to be more stuff in there. I hope you find us some nice guns to look at!

Steve

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
ScrewcapRoy said:
Yes some pictures of the pond would be nice. Also, any history of the area would be great. I was wondering why these items would be located in a pond? I can see getting ride of ordenance, but why helmets? Was there a battle there? Were the Germans crossing the pond and got caught in some crossfire? Finds are very interesting but any additional information with pictures would be nice. Thanks for sharing.
HH,
Roy

The location is close to an coastal fortress, they had several 15cm+- guns here, and the area is full of bunkers and trenches. The reason for dumping equipment here is simply because when the war ended, the soldiers was so happy they dumped everything they had and just wanted to go home to their family. I have only found a few helmets, the number of soldiers stationed in this area was never less than 500+.

(500 helmets would be great hehe)

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Are you searching a pond or an impact crater that has just lasted the time? As an army engineer I would remind you that grenades and landmines are perfect soldiers. They have no shelf life and they still find unstable live munitions all the time. Be carefull and dont just jerk stuff out of the ground. Pins and springs rust away and when you remove the dirt that took the place of one of those you could get a surprise!

If I hadnt seen I wouldnt mention it.

Other than that those are some nice finds.

Ian

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Grenade would be photographed and disposed of if it were me that found it. Those things are scary.
Killer helmets though. Hope you get at least a Mauser out of that water.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool finds!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the great hunt and thanks for sharing the history. HH Terry

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some really nice finds.

Have you found any other war related items in the area? I bet you might be able to find some firearms there in the pond also. Keep showing more pictures.

Be careful with the explosives. There was a guy here in the US that died trying to disarm an explosive device from the Civil War from the 1860's recently. He was a person who knew what he was doing but somehow an accident happened. The "potato smasher" grenades are fascinating and a great part of history, just be careful. I don't know if they are stable after being in water so long or if they are any good. I have heard stories, depending at what point in the war they were manufactured, that they were not very stable. I might be wrong as I am not an expert on these type of devices.

Thanks for answering my question on your last post.

JP

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
TEXAN Connection said:
What are you gonna do with that gernade anyway?

I will problaby sell these artifacts when i have finished my detecting here, because i dont collect ww2 relics.
Its not a live grenade, the reason for bringing this grenades back home- is because its an exercise grenade. The top of the grenade contains nothing, you can see through it beacuse its full of small holes for the gas to escape. (see photo)
-------------
You must all remember that when the war ended, there was no panic here were i live. Everything was dismanteled in a slow quiet fashion. the last soldiers left in the winter of 1947+-.
If i find live explosives in this pond, i wil terminate my search at once. I find it very interesting and important to dig history, but im not willing to get blown to pieces for it.

But thank you all for warning me about the hidden dangers, i think of it every second im in the water. :)

Attachments

• JULI-g24,aaa.jpg
    JULI-g24,aaa.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,488
OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
A couple of tnet members has mailed me and asked for more photos, thank you very much for interest.

So here are some more photos of the helmets, they are now cleaned and inserted with oil. Some dirt are difficult to remove so i let it be. They have all original grey/greenish color, and two of them have weak Wehrmacht eagles on the sides.

The stickgrenade has no markings, maybe the handle has been removed and replaced with localy made handle.

Hope this will inspire the rest of you to go out and dig some nice finds wherever you are in the world. :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting to you all!

Regards

Don Trond ( Still smiling :D )

Attachments

• JULI-hjelm-hær-1a.jpg
    JULI-hjelm-hær-1a.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,389
  • JULI-hjelm-2a.jpg
    JULI-hjelm-2a.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,420
  • JULI-hjelm-hær-3a.jpg
    JULI-hjelm-hær-3a.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,381
  • JULI-g24-nr2.jpg
    JULI-g24-nr2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,373
  • JULI-hjelm-g24-a.jpg
    JULI-hjelm-g24-a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,373

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil
awesome finds... i wish i had known about metal detecting when i lived in sicily in the 70s when i was a teenager..but all i was interested in back then was chasing the girls.....

hh

Viking

Apr 1, 2007
Franconia Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hi All

@Trond

You nees to put the helmets in distilled water now!! Because if you let them get dry and try to clean them they will keep rusting
without desalinateing them.

@Goldiver

I usually dont show things like this,but you wanted to see some weapons
x2 Stg 44s probably from the SS.

Attachments

• 2008_06010047.jpg
    2008_06010047.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,354

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We Americans are fascinated with WWII yet all the WWII metal detecting treasure hunting is far from our shores. So thanks for showing your finds.

Here's an idea. Attach a strong magnet to a cord, get in a little boat, put the magnet in the water to the bottom then bring it up. You'll get metal out of that pond faster and cleaner!

Keep having safe fun.

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Born Free said:
We Americans are fascinated with WWII yet all the WWII metal detecting treasure hunting is far from our shores. So thanks for showing your finds.

Here's an idea. Attach a strong magnet to a cord, get in a little boat, put the magnet in the water to the bottom then bring it up. You'll get metal out of that pond faster and cleaner!

Keep having safe fun.

Thanks for that super idea, I will try this out tomorrow morning. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread