Update:2nd visit to root cellar site,finds,photos

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Went to this great site this afternoon for the second time. Here's the front view I guess you could call it of the that root cellar
RootCellarFrontborder7-22-08.jpg

In this second pic are my finds today.Don't know what the top item is ?! I wonder if anyone can put a date on that buckle
Buckle7-22-08.jpg

Dan,I brought that damn wheat penny home today.I don't have enough interest in it right now to rub the dirt off to see the date :-)

I found this new homestead just this evening as it started to get dark in the woods.I'm lucky I was able to this pic with it's relatively good sharpness. I have quite a bit of experience with Photoshop so if I can get it half way sharp and exposed half decent I can usually make up for any other problems with the photo.At first I thought it was a springhouse but don't think so although it was directly above the spring.Half of it is below ground level with that lower window almost at ground level.
Interesting enough the house foundation was directly above the spring and this structure by about 8 yards. I later found a well about 15 yards below this root cellar and off to the left. My only find here so far is a wheat penny,bummer. I left it lay on a stone of the root cellar.I found it between two of the rocks in the lower left portion of this photo.
Beautiful location in open woods,very little weeds but steamy hot this evening.
RootCellar7-18-08.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Root cellar at a newly discovered homestead

That's a sweet pic Billy....Is that a field in the background? Hit the field if so!!!Best of Luck on a spot like that,take it slow....

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

civilman1 said:
That's a sweet pic Billy....Is that a field in the background? Hit the field if so!!!Best of Luck on a spot like that,take it slow....

Hi civil,thanks no there's no field back there,it's all pretty much dense woods around this site (thank God)

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

gotta be a snake in there somewhere, be careful and good luck on your claim

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like a good place if you can bust through all of the brush ...... And yes, be carefull. Take a partner with you just in case. Who knows what may be lurking around there :o

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

crazyjarhead said:
Looks like a good place if you can bust through all of the brush ...... And yes, be carefull. Take a partner with you just in case. Who knows what may be lurking around there :o

not very much brush or anything to stop a swinging coil. I wouldn't go down those steps without a real good reason,I don't want to temp fate and possibly some copperheads.

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!

Great Pic! I love the stone work. Almost looks medieval

vegasmetsfan

Feb 22, 2008
LAS VEGAS
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER TRACKER IV

Good hunting, be very careful of those snakes :o :o :o :o

Jsayre1234

Mar 13, 2008

Incredible spot Billy! I think the best find is the spot itself, I would be in awe of a site like that and would have to (very carefully) atleast peek into the cellar! How old do you think that structure is? How big do you think it used to be? Amazing!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome spot, just wait till fall time to hunt it, everything dies and snakes go to sleep. Or take a friend, a belt for a turniket, and a shotgun (with bird shot, just incase you see one) Good luck :thumbsup:

I used to go hunting for them years back with a bunch of hillbillys, 12ga and birdshot does the trick.

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

Jsayre1234 said:
Incredible spot Billy! I think the best find is the spot itself, I would be in awe of a site like that and would have to (very carefully) atleast peek into the cellar! How old do you think that structure is? How big do you think it used to be? Amazing!
yes this is the second visually appealing spot in a row I've found. I think this dates back to the late 1800's. I like finding the sites that go back to the mid 1800's at least. Not quite as many photogenic structures in that time period but wow if you find a coin you've really got something ! I would say this is about a 10x10 ft building.thanks for looking !

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

TreasureFiend said:
Awesome spot, just wait till fall time to hunt it, everything dies and snakes go to sleep. Or take a friend, a belt for a turniket, and a shotgun (with bird shot, just incase you see one) Good luck :thumbsup:

I used to go hunting for them years back with a bunch of hillbillys, 12ga and birdshot does the trick.
Hi Treasure,yes fall is the time am waiting for ! We don't have a lot of venomous snakes around,just in some concentrated places. I've hiked around here for 40 years and never saw one except for a few times when we went to their dens to see them,then we saw lots !

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

crazyjarhead said:

Take weed eater and some varmit smoke bombs and throw them down in there. If thats an old root celler then there shoud have been a house nearby

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Copper coins.....not copperheads...I hope...Be safe and go get that treasure. jgas

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500

crazyjarhead said:
crazyjarhead said:

Take weed eater and some varmit smoke bombs and throw them down in there. If thats an old root celler then there shoud have been a house nearby
lol thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll be doing any detecting in that root cellar,you can't really see it in the pic but the sides have crumbled in the cellar space :-(

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250

Just curious. Why did you leave the wheat penny there?

Continued HH,

Dr. Ace

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd love to search that spot! By the way......... NICE PIC!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread