🥇 BANNER FIND OF MY LIFETIME!!! - UPDATE FROM LEADING EXPERT...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This type of coin has been on the top of my wish list for 25 years or more. Now I have one.

It came from a pasture field which was hayed about a week ago. I have had no other Celtic items other than this off this field. Although we have noticed the soil is a good quality & less clay than the surrounding area.

This coin was most likely placed in the soil during a ritual to bless the land for good crops.

This coin was only 2inches deep (the field was ploughed about 10 years ago).

When I first dug it & I saw its edge, I thought 'wow a gold button!'. When I realised what it was & showed Dad there was much shouting & arm waving, so much so the farmer & his wife came out to have a look :D

Its a CELTIC GOLD STATER;

Ruler - CUNOBELIN

Minted about 20AD

Value - £500 ($1000)

To say I'm happy with this coin would be an understatement.

I am currently getting advice from the leading expert as it seems to be an unusual variant! (I will update later)

UPDATE (21/07/08)

This is what the Leading UK Expert said:

Congratulations! You must be delighted with this, and quite rightly so. I do like these wild type staters, partly because the horse looks so bizarre, and this is a good example of that.

As you say it’s VA 1933, of which there are 30 at
http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/images-lister.php?&VA_type=1933.01
and another 45 at
http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/images-lister.php?&VA_type=1933.03

I can’t remember offhand how VA separates these two varieties – something about the size of the little star on the reverse? I suspect this is not a very good way of separating them out, but no matter. I had a quick look for die-links, and there is at least one coin from the same pair of dies:

http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/largeview.php?coin_num=97.1593

The obverse is quite recognizable because of the flaw on the second leaf up on the right, next to the M of CAMV. There’s another example of that obverse die here (which is listed as VA 1933.01, not 1933.03):

http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/largeview.php?coin_num=67.0167

The reverse too is quite distinctive, with the ringed pellet very far over to the left below the horse. Again there may well be others from this die. In terms of date, Cunobelin’s wild type is usually placed somewhere in the middle of his reign, say c. 20 AD, so I guess your coin is coming up to its 2000th birthday!

THEREFORE ITS ONE OF ABOUT 76 RECORDED.

Quote from a leading dealer;
Retail; £550-600
He would buy for £400-450

Not that I would sell it, but I will give the farmer £200 to keep it.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 7,899
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 7,579
Upvote 21

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm quite late to the party, about 9 years, but I had to comment on this magnificent find. I'm sure your display only allows for a certain amount of display items, but I hope this one is still in there. Well done!

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure Cru' will never forget the moment that coin was revealed!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm quite late to the party, about 9 years, but I had to comment on this magnificent find. I'm sure your display only allows for a certain amount of display items, but I hope this one is still in there. Well done!
I don't display anything of great value, just not a wise move. This was the start of many more to follow, so its unforgettable. Dad & I were acting like looney's.It really was one of these double take moments when your reflex thoughts were its just another gilt button (Dug thousands) & then a sudden realisation you have a find that took donkeys years to get!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure Cru' will never forget the moment that coin was revealed!! :notworthy:
Just like your never forget your first either but you only had the dog to go crazy in front of! What is the dog dance like?

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like your never forget your first either but you only had the dog to go crazy in front of! What is the dog dance like?

Crazy! Then my dog (Fan) must have thought I was barking mad! Which for a while ,I was !! :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job you deserve it you worked hard for that I'm glad you found it Tommy

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
have been out of commission for almost 2 years and when I get back to detecting again, I see that you are still killing the finds. congrats on the awesome find

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome is a understatement on that one. Amazing coin! [emoji106]

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have been out of commission for almost 2 years and when I get back to detecting again, I see that you are still killing the finds. congrats on the awesome find

Not yet this is a 2008 post dragged up. It been a long while since our last Gold Stater.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whaaaaat!? That's flippin awesome!!! I hope you kissed the thing! Haha great find Crusader! Remember... swing it, dig it! Cheers!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old post but it is certainly one that I am sure we will revisit over and over.
That is a magnificent coin
Congratulations

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it is funny how on forums people don't seem to read others posts. I don't know how many times you said it was found 9 years ago but those posts are ignored. It still is a wonderful coin. Congrats 9 years late!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it is funny how on forums people don't seem to read others posts. I don't know how many times you said it was found 9 years ago but those posts are ignored. It still is a wonderful coin. Congrats 9 years late!

I seen it was old but had to chime in! [emoji2][emoji106]

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know, but it sure is helping my 'likes' because this post had 0 as it was pre-likes....lol

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find Crusader. Congrats on reaching that accomplishment after such a long time in the hobby. That is a beautiful looking coin.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find Crusader. Congrats on reaching that accomplishment after such a long time in the hobby. That is a beautiful looking coin.
:icon_scratch: Really, I reached it in 2008. Things have moved on a lot since then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions