Hoe better than my detector?

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
If you remember my last post about the corkscrew puller I found in the garden while planting corn, the saga continues. I was weeding the garden this Saturday and the hoe brought up this Revlon Lip-Fashion piece. Hit by the tiller over the years but still interesting, especially since I MD'd the garden before. I've hit most of my 0.43 acre yard many times before but spent another hour on it this afternoon and got the cut nail (square nail) and the 58-D Wheat, along with the scraps. Best finds in my own yard have been with the hoe in the garden so far this year. The only other good MD finds here before have been another Wheat, some bullets, and a transit token. I'm still trying to figure out the nail since this area didn't have much before the 1930's that I know of. If I detect the fence lines though, there are burn pits every 10 to 20 feet and a bottle dump on the side opposite the garden. Guess I found the non-bottle dump in the garden. There are 2 outhouse foundations here too, and NO, I'm not going to dig them up LOL!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2778-crop.JPG
    IMG_2778-crop.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find/s!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks lonewolfe, you are too kind!? I had to post something, it's been too hot and humid to get out from the house too far!!!

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Best hunting I ever had was about a 1/2 acre plot that a guy plowed and planted a garden every year. Turns out this black dirt in Texas is not good for metal detecting. It can hide a coin at around 4-5 inches. Over 3 years I bet I pulled 40 coins dating from 1851 to about 1910 or so. Tons of trash but plowed dirt is easy diggin. Finds where getting slim by the 3 year and he got down in his health and stopped gardening :(. The lot had railroad housing on it. They where old boxcars with the wheels removed and converted to houses. One is still there and lived in last time I checked. Anyhow, I bet you turn up new stuff each year.

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks Charles, I think you're right. Like we say, "no place is hunted out". When I tore apart some hollow concrete blocks in the basement foundation a few years ago I found a drill bit inside that was made to fit into the old hand-crank drills. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. I can just imagine the guys working on this place with hand saws and hand-powered drills. I love uncovering history!

F

Floater

SugarSand I would dig those Outhouse holes, that is some great hunting there.HH​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread