2 Mercury Dimes (1916 & 1917), 2 Wheat Pennies (1930 & 1958)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
2 Mercury Dimes (1916 & 1917), 2 Wheat Pennies (1930 & 1958)

I found two mercury dimes this past weekend, and two wheat pennies. I’m still figuring out the idiosyncrasies of the SE, and spending very little time hunting for gold, if any. The main reason is that it’s two hot around here, so we have to spend our time wisely.

The bent merc dime was found at a well worked lot that on each trip keeps producing onezies in silver, and twozies in wheat pennies. The 1917 merc dime was found at the same area that I pulled the 1872 Half Dime out of. I just feel there’s another seated coin or two there so I keep returning.

Thanks for looking and Good Luck.

Attachments

• Mercs and Finds.JPG
    Mercs and Finds.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 543
  • Mercs 1.JPG
    Mercs 1.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 534
  • Mercs 3.JPG
    Mercs 3.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 538
  • Mercs 4.JPG
    Mercs 4.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 543
  • Mercs 6.JPG
    Mercs 6.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 518
  • Mercs 8.JPG
    Mercs 8.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 757
  • Mercs 2.JPG
    Mercs 2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Mercs 5.JPG
    Mercs 5.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 521
  • Mercs 7.JPG
    Mercs 7.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 529
  • Mercs 9.JPG
    Mercs 9.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 517
  • Mercs 10.JPG
    Mercs 10.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 518
  • Mercs 11.JPG
    Mercs 11.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 2 Mercury Dimes (1916 & 1917), 2 Wheat Pennies (1930 & 1958)

Nice finds, Ant. :icon_sunny: I've often wonder why you don't see many 30's wheat pennies, at least I haven't ???

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

I've often wonder why you don't see many 30's wheat pennies, at least I haven't..

Probably because that was the time of the Great Depression, and folks weren't very loose with their change...they really held on to it!! I have found a bunch of '39 wheats though.

Way to go, Anthony!! You found the two oldest mercs...I'm glad that '16 doesn't have a "D" mintmark with the shape it's in...yours looks to be an "S".

Did you see Leo's nice gold bracelet? He found it at a park in Riverside...17 grams.

Good luck on your next hunt!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

When I first saw that mintmark I got sick to my stomach. In this case thankfully it is an "S".

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds!!!! Too bad the 16s is dented though... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bartman said:
When I first saw that mintmark I got sick to my stomach. In this case thankfully it is an "S".

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Good work Ant! That 1916 took a beating........and I think I'll agree with the thought.....better off that it wasn't a D, or it would've been a shame. Now Ant, I do not remember hearing or reading anything about you and an SE!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

Nice finds, Ant! I'll take a Merc anyday over no silver. Been getting my share of them lately. Let me know when you want some company to detect with. Haven't seen you since the last time in Riverside!

Ray

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ant,
Nice finds. The SE a new one for you?
I'm so used to seeing jewelry in your post that this one looks naked. ;D :wink:
Congrats,
MM

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Look's good to me Ant....Even though I don't find a ton of coin's like you all do,I'd take it anyday.....Congrat's!! :thumbsup:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta love those mercs, Ant....even if the one is dented still a great looking coin....Gonna be looking for some more posts from ya with the SE.

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

Nies finds Ant! :thumbsup:
The Merc looks like it hes been hit with a lawn mower? Nice anyway congrats :thumbsup:

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300

Nice finds. I hope i dig a 1916 merc one day just to get my hopes up for a D. Hit that place after a rain storm and see if you can't boost your "onsies" to some "threesies".

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Thanks for looking everybody and good luck.

crazyjarhead said:
Nice finds, Ant. :icon_sunny: I've often wonder why you don't see many 30's wheat pennies, at least I haven't ???

Thanks, I think Captain SE has the right answer. HH and good luck.

Captn_SE said:
I've often wonder why you don't see many 30's wheat pennies, at least I haven't..

Probably because that was the time of the Great Depression, and folks weren't very loose with their change...they really held on to it!! I have found a bunch of '39 wheats though.

Way to go, Anthony!! You found the two oldest mercs...I'm glad that '16 doesn't have a "D" mintmark with the shape it's in...yours looks to be an "S".

Did you see Leo's nice gold bracelet? He found it at a park in Riverside...17 grams.

Good luck on your next hunt!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan. I didn’t even know they were the oldest mercs or that the D mint mark is the most desirable of the 1916 mercs. Yeah I saw Leo’s gold chain. I think that’s # 16 or 17 for him this year, all heavy too.

HH and good luck.

Bartman said:

I’m glad too. Thanks and good luck.

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Anthony...

A great post as expected ... :thumbsup:

Merc's & Wheats ... the breakfast of champions ...

Continue to Rock on & Persevere with that SE ...

Nick

Thanks Nick you all ways have something good to say, good luck.

TreasureFiend said:
Great finds!!!! Too bad the 16s is dented though... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know, thanks and good luck.

Indian Head Jones said:
Great finds, Ant! I've found quite a few 1916 Mercs, but that "D" mintmark still eludes me!

Thanks, I hope you find on in the near future, HH and good luck.

alpha105 said:
Bartman said:

I would have too, if I knew that the S mint mark is the most desirable of the 1916 mercs. Thanks and good luck.

Ricardo_NY1 said:
Good work Ant! That 1916 took a beating........and I think I'll agree with the thought.....better off that it wasn't a D, or it would've been a shame. Now Ant, I do not remember hearing or reading anything about you and an SE!

I know that now, hehehe. I’ve been using the SE for about 5 weeks or so, and it has proven to be a silver sniffer outer for sure. I’ve been concentrating on demolition sites and very old trashy ground. My best find is the 1872 half dime that I previously mentioned.

HH and good luck.

Ray in CA said:
Nice finds, Ant! I'll take a Merc anyday over no silver. Been getting my share of them lately. Let me know when you want some company to detect with. Haven't seen you since the last time in Riverside!

Ray

Thanks Ray. I’ll hit you with PM next weekend and or you can PM me and we can hit a spot or two that I know of. The sites are hard to work, but they have the potential to give up a seated coin and they’re not far from your house.

ModernMiner said:
Ant,
Nice finds. The SE a new one for you?
I'm so used to seeing jewelry in your post that this one looks naked. ;D :wink:
Congrats,
MM

Yeah, the SE is new to me, it’s more interactive that the GB-2, sort of addicting.
It can sniff silver out of trash for the patient and slow worker. I’m still learning it, I know lots of guys that find jewelry with it, but not better than me using the GB-2, but that’s me, and not all can do like me:tard:.

Thanks MM and good luck.

tymcmurray said:
Nice coins and cleanup!

Thanks tymcmurray, I try.
HH and good luck.

civilman1 said:
Look's good to me Ant....Even though I don't find a ton of coin's like you all do,I'd take it anyday.....Congrat's!! :thumbsup:

Thanks civilman I really appreciate the ego boost, that gets me motivated for the weekend.

SC_hunter said:
Gotta love those mercs, Ant....even if the one is dented still a great looking coin....Gonna be looking for some more posts from ya with the SE.

Thanks SC_hunter. I like the dime too, I hope to keep posting silver from the SE so keep looking like I keep looking at your finds.
HH and good luck.

Golden1 said:
Nies finds Ant! :thumbsup:
The Merc looks like it hes been hit with a lawn mower? Nice anyway congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks Golden. At first I thought it was hit by me, but after a closer examination, it looks like in fact it was hit lawnmower. Any body else have any input on the damage, does it look like a lawnmower strike, or a hack by me?

UTcoinshootR said:
Nice finds. I hope i dig a 1916 merc one day just to get my hopes up for a D. Hit that place after a rain storm and see if you can't boost your "onsies" to some "threesies".

Thanks UTCoinshootR. I think you are right, after a rain storm is best for digging and conductivity.
HH and good luck.

Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
Some nice coins! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks man, I like your avtara, cool.

Good luck to you.

R

RUDY2003

Great diggs' Anthony....
I have trouble findin' wheats in the 20's and 30's myself...

Keep safe...

Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread