Theres STILL SILVER and other goodies in my buddys beat up park.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's STILL SILVER and other goodies in my buddy's beat up park.

Haven't been able to hunt for over a week so Phil and I met at his beat up park that never gives up anything. Most of the time we go there because it's convenient for both of us and we never have much time. We noticed they were moving some dirt around so we decided to hit it hard again. The last time there we found ZERO. Two guys with $2500 worth of machines in their hands wandering around for 2 hours and couldn't even scare up a wheatie. ;D
It was very hot and even more humid...but we hunted anyway. I started at a spot that had a few inches of dirt scraped off and started hitting wheaties immediately...so I knew there had to be some silver hidin' there too. I kept looking over at Phil and he wasn't doin' any diggin'..but he WAS doin' a whole lot of sweating. :D His stock coil on his xs isn't finding anything and I think it has a short or something. His 8" Minelab coil sounds good on it and so does his 12" Excelerator...but not the stock coil. I find a deep target and say..."deep silver or wheatie"...then call him over. I run my sef or 1050 coil over it and it sounds sweet. He then runs his xs over it and it sounds like a bunch of sick bullfrogs bellowing out 50 different tones and sounds. ;D He was getting frustrated to hear the sweet sharp high pitch sound I was hearing with the 10 x 12 sef and 1050. ???
After finding a few wheaties...then my first silver...Phil still had nothing. I popped off my sef coil and let him use it for a while...and I put my 1050 coil on my SE. He has 2 of the pro coils coming...but they have been on back order from Minelab for almost a month...so he is in limbo for a coil. It isn't any fun for me if I'm finding stuff but my buddy isn't. :sad10:
Phil instantly started finding some wheaties and other goodies with my SEF. After about 45 minutes or so...I said.."okay pal..give my me coil back"..."you've used it enough". ;D
I popped my sef coil back on and Phil used my 1050...and we both started popping out coins. I'll let him tell you about his finds when he gets time.
Almost all the coins I found were 8" or more deep to as deep as 10". Funny thing was that we were both so hot and tired after 2 hours..we both wanted to quit...but neither of us let each other know it. I would glance over at him out of the corner of my eye and he would be standing there leaning on his xs about to melt...but when he saw me looking...he instantly "woke up" and acted like he was swingin' the coil. ;D I have no room to talk 'cause I did the same thing. :wink:
Finally I couldn't take it anymore...but rather than look like a putz...I told Phil I was going to walk to the car and move it around closer to the area we were....when in reality I just wanted to freakin' sit down. ::) I moved the car then took Phil's ice water to him. When he saw the approaching beverage...you'd have thought he hit the lotto.
All the coins here are deeeeep from a lot of fill dirt. It is very common to find 9" deep memorial cents. :-\
The neatest find was the quarter I dug at 10" down straight on edge. I called him over to hear the signal and then started digging. I remember saying it had a shot at being silver. It was a very deep, depth gauge buried, chirper hit that repeated so I knew I had a shot at something good. I dug down and then dug down some more...finally popping out a chunk of dirt. I then pinched it and out popped a silver quarter which was completely unexpected. It was the first big silver we have popped out of there in over a year. :icon_sunny:
After 5 hours I had a pretty full pouch. I had a ton of wheaties...a buffalo nickel...5 silver...and an injun. A great day from a place that's given up nothing to us lately. :thumbsup:
Phil's back in business now...his own 1050 coil should be here Monday...and his Minelab pro coils should be here in a few days too.

Attachments

• coins79.jpg
    coins79.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 861
Upvote 0

skatergod6262

May 18, 2008
utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Re: Pretty nice hunt at a buddie's beat up old park. There's STILL goodies there!

nice finds keep hauling them in

k kev

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: There's STILL SILVER and other goodies in my buddy's beat up park.

Great work there! With the heat, what was the soil conditions? Are you getting that depth in dry ground or was there a little moisture in the ground? Nice Haul, HH.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Bryce, that is one fine hunt there, buddy! :thumbsup: And from a place where you couldn't get a thing from before, that's awesome.
I know it sucks hunting in the heat/humidity like that. You have to work extra hard to recover those deepies. You guys are diehards.

Congrats!!
CAPTN SE
Dan

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job bud!!! Keep hittin it and see what comes out next!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pretty nice hunt at a buddie's beat up old park. There's STILL goodies there!

skatergod6262 said:
nice finds keep hauling them in

k kev
Thanks Kev

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wallhangers said:
Great work there! With the heat, what was the soil conditions? Are you getting that depth in dry ground or was there a little moisture in the ground? Nice Haul, HH.
Thanks Wallhangers. I think the soil was about average. There was a little moisture from a rain a few days ago...but to be honest...I usually hit pretty close to the same depth in dry soil too...about 8" to as deep as 9" in dry soil...but the moisture does add an inch or so more definately.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
Bryce, that is one fine hunt there, buddy! :thumbsup: And from a place where you couldn't get a thing from before, that's awesome.
I know it sucks hunting in the heat/humidity like that. You have to work extra hard to recover those deepies. You guys are diehards.

Congrats!!
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. We were lucky to find some spots here where they had moved some dirt around. They scraped a few inches off in some spots ...so that's where we hunted. What really bites is when I would get a nice 9" to 10" deep chirper that sounded sweet..then pop out a 9" deep memorial cent.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureFiend said:
Great job bud!!! Keep hittin it and see what comes out next!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Fiend

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Nice hunt! Glad your sweltering in the heat paid off with wheats & silver, especially that little beauty Merc! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG Bryce :thumbsup: You must have some coin collection by now! I'm going to have to find some older areas soon and get my obsolete coin fix ;D

Hang in there, it's supposed to cool down later this week.

Nat

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice haul Bryce.....And what a guy to give up a coil to your buddy so he could join in the fun,and then to haul some water over his way.You're a good man :thumbsup:

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705

Looks like the hunt in the heat and humidity paid off for you... Nice coins! :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Thats awesome dude! Great story! Looks like you are doing really well with the coils! :thumbsup:

Specter

Apr 30, 2008
Detector(s) used
Two M-6's

Real nice assortment of silver and Wheat's!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kimsdad said:
Nice hunt! Glad your sweltering in the heat paid off with wheats & silver, especially that little beauty Merc! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Kimsdad

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome hunt my friend, your finds never cease to amaze!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread