First IH Penny for me,and a Merc

F

flash

Asked to detect a old farmhouse today.Found my first IH penny(1902) ,,then another(18??) .Also my first Mercury Dime 1924.Found a wheat too,can't read the date on it though.They are in bad shape,do you think olive oil will help?

Found them all in the front yard in a small area,was there only 1 hour .I had to leave ,,,although I did not want to.Owner said I can come back anytime he is there.The yard is big and I hardly touched it,I know there are more goodies there.Hoping to go back tomorrow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

flash

The owner of this farm told me his barn used to be the general store and post office back in the horse and buggie days.

My buddies dads farm(which i have posted about )is about 100 yrds away on other side of RR tracks.I talked to him earlier tonight and he told me this is not true.(About the store/post office)As we were standing in his driveway he pointed out where the County Line RR depot used to be on his property and then started pointing around the neighborhood saying where the store was ,a saw mill,post office and some other things,,

I have permission to MD all of this area so it doesn't matter who is right or wrong.But I would like to know.I have been surfing the net for an hour with no luck.To make matters worse the road these farms are on is the county line road.. How can I find out. I can go to either counties library,once there , where do I look.

No matter I think I have stumbled onto a great MDing spot,time will tell.You would never know by looking at this area ,out in the sticks, that these things were there.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Nice going Flash. The first one is the hardest to get. If you want to clean them a little bit, soak them in olive oil for a while, it sometimes helps. That dime is in real nice shape. Way to go!!! Lance

D

Darla

Great find, I to have just found my 1st ih penny it is a 1894 I guess about 1 week ago. It sounds like you have some great places to go detecting looking forward is some of your future posts.

happy detecting,

Darla

OP
OP
F

flash

I went back 2 days ago to MD this farm and I gave the owner the Merc dime I found there.That day it was very windy ,40-50 mph.I could not hear the detector so I had to quit.

I went back yesterday and the owner told me he did not want me detecting there anymore because his brother in law wanted to MD it.I was bummed out big time....still am about it really.

I can still MD 2 different places across the road but that farm was probaly the best of them all.I don't know because I have tried any of the others yet.

About the cleaning .I used Hydrogen Peroxide on the pennies.1902 and a 18_2, 3rd digit has a pit in it ,but is either a 6,8 or 9 because I can see the top left part of a loop.Here is the finished product.

Thanks and good luck,

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can locate this other THer, and offer to take him on a dig somewhere else you can hunt, try to form an alliance with them, and maybe you will be able to dig this property again.

Attachments

• new token.jpg
    new token.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 21
  • new token back.jpg
    new token back.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 21

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread