1803 - 1812 US Militia Button

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Hi All! I've been working a new Colonial Cellar Hole for the past week...and went back last night with my 5.3" Coil to hit the thicker areas around the foundation...

I've already dug 23 buttons on this site...which is a new record at one area for me...and last night dug #24..an a DOOOOZiE! :D

It's a US Militia Button, and according to Alberts (if I am reading it correctly) it was made in London between 1798-1802. The Eagle is facing right with 17 Stars surrounding it.

The reverse reads 'Best Quality' and has a perfect shank ;D

This is my first Militia Button dating to that time period...Yahoooooo! :)

HH, Hank 8)

Attachments

• US Militia Button  8-22-08 2.jpg
    US Militia Button 8-22-08 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 602
  • US Militia Button  8-22-08 3.jpg
    US Militia Button 8-22-08 3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1798 - 1802 US Militia Button

Beautiful button Hank, that one is in great condition. I would say it is a War of 1812 era button and not the earlier time period. Albert's book is confusing but I have seen these listed as War of 1812 buttons in the past. Ohio was the 17th state( March 1803) and was not admitted to the Union until 1803 and we stayed at 17 states till April 30th 1812.

Don

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice...that's a show stopper!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!!! Many places I hunt turn up a lot of plain buttons but it keeps me going because I know before too long something will show. If the next time it's one of those I'll gladly take it! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SSHHWWWEEEET! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
xlt nh

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300

Thanks everyone! It's definitely one that took me 20+yrs to find!

Thanks for the time-period information Don...the book is very confusing in that section with the Regiment buttons mixed in.. :-\

HH, Hank 8)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Beautiful button Hank, that one is in great condition. I would say it is a War of 1812 era button and not the earlier time period. Albert's book is confusing but I have seen these listed as War of 1812 buttons in the past. Ohio was the 17th state( March 1803) and was not admitted to the Union until 1803 and we stayed at 17 states till April 30th 1812.

Don

Don, lots of earlier buttons are considered war of 1812 because those patterns were worn during the War. Since the conflicts weren't all that many years apart a lot of times post Rev buttons will be War of 1812. Remember the makers mark dates the betton, not the service. Sometimes the books give the service, other times it's up to us to figure it out. In any event it's one nice looking old military button!

PS.. A good example of button date vs service is many British Royal Navy buttons used in 1812 were made in the 1790s.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
Outstanding!!!

Banner!!!

DM

I must agreed, even coming from the UK I can well appreciate the history & excellent condition of that button. I have always said that I only need 1 good button to make my day. People who don't detect will never understand that one. 'A button' :icon_scratch: they think! We know better :thumbsup:

BANNER gets my vote

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Don, lots of earlier buttons are considered war of 1812 because those patterns were worn during the War. Since the conflicts weren't all that many years apart a lot of times post Rev buttons will be War of 1812. Remember the makers mark dates the betton, not the service. Sometimes the books give the service, other times it's up to us to figure it out. In any event it's one nice looking old military button!

PS.. A good example of button date vs service is many British Royal Navy buttons used in 1812 were made in the 1790s.

IP, you're a walking reference book!!!! :thumbsup:

Hank, I loooooove that military button. PACO found a silver-plated War of 1812 eagle button last October. From our rasearch, we know who lost it.

Kyle

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
that is so AWESOME!! Doesn't it make you just want to think back and imagine about the person that was wearing it....whether they lived or died....what they were thinking....so cool!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Zoyboy said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

IP, you're a walking reference book!!!! :thumbsup:

Hank, I loooooove that military button. PACO found a silver-plated War of 1812 eagle button last October. From our rasearch, we know who lost it.

Kyle

I don't think I'd say that Kyle, I just give my opinion and make it sound like I have a clue what I'm talking about. :D Many British buttons date that way so I just assume plenty of US '1812 buttons' can predate the war by many years.

Finding an early military item and knowing who's it was is a great thing! I hunt with two other guys and all the buttons we've found over the years there is just one who we can connect to the wearer. Someday we may try and match more of them up.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I eliminated was that the button was definetly not a 1798-1802 Military button as first posted! Simple reason there were not 17 states until 1803, thus the button could be from 1803 and later but not before. But in most likelyhood, by that backmark ,which is a Quality Mark seen on 1810-1820 era buttons and it is listed amongst War of 1812 buttons in Alberts book and on a few websites selling that button. Also, I have not found any buttons prior to the War of 1812 that have 17 stars. There might be some, but I did not find any listed. If that button had 16 stars, than it might have been possible to be an older button.

I am not 100% sure but that line on the back side appears not to be a cast mark but perhaps a mark from being struck in a split anvil to impress the front side of the button with the design and not destroy the shank. This was done by American manufacturers in the 1810-1820 period. They would buy high quality buttons from England, since American companies still did not have the ability to put good shanks on their buttons, so they would import English buttons and than put their design on the front side, using the split anvil technique.

Don

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that's nice. WTG on that AWESOME find.

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread