Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I decided i would really put the 10 x 12 SEF coil to the test today. I took it to 3 small parks that I have pounded into submission with the 1050 coil...just to see how good it really is. Over the last few weeks I have used the SEF and Minelab pro coils quite a few times doing some testing.....but always ended going back to the 1050 as a security blanket because of the amount of silver found with it. This time I took the training wheels off and left it at home....deciding to put 100% faith in the SEF coil. :thumbsup:
Each and every coin I found over the next 9 hours was 8" to 10" deep...except for one 11"er ...and many were on edge. :thumbsup: While I did have some nice solid signals...well over 50% of them were faint chirps that I decided to further investigate. At these beat up sites...you either go very slow...and pay close attention to all deep chirps...or you go home with an empty pouch. ;D
The first park I visited is a place where dimes are nearly out of reach. I figure if I'm finding quarters at 10"..then the smaller coins are probably going to be almost out of reach. ???
It takes something different or special for me to gain true confidence in a coil. True I have found lots of deep silver with the SEF coil over the last 6 weeks or so...but as I said...always went back to the 1050 for some reason. I had a few different things happen today that really opened my eyes to the SEF. :tongue3:
The first thing was a silver quarter at 9" in a spot that I thoroughly pounded just last week with the 1050 coil. It was a nice solid signal but the depth caused the cursor to bounce along the top and never really locked in the right corner. However...the signal was dead on. I dug down and realized my plug was off because I now hit the target with the probe at the far corner of the hole. Out popped the washington quarter from 9" down on edge. :thumbsup:
About 2 hours later....same thing....got a deep sweet sounding hit and the cursor fluttered accross the top. It never went towards iron...but never went to silver either. It just kind of fluttered around the top center. Dug down about 10" and again...the probe located it on the side/bottom of the hole. Out popped the no date slq from 10" down straight on edge. :thumbsup: WOW...now I'm impressed...because I could no longer get even a peep here with my 1050 coil. :wink:
I continued on and popped out about 7 wheaties as well.
Talk about an eye opener...9 coins from an area that no longer gives a sound when using the 1050 coil! :thumbsup:
Site #2 is a park niterider_58 took me to a year or so ago. It stopped producing hardly anything for him many months ago..but we pulled some goodies out of there with our 1050 coils recently. We hadn't gone there for a few weeks because finally the 1050 coil stopped producing as well...but I wanted to give it a try with the SEF. Results after 3 hours there???....Two mercs...a roosey...and a bunch more wheaties. :thumbsup:
Site #3 is another park Phil and I have pounded into submission. The only coins left are 10"+ deepies and we have both found memorials this deep there too. Results after 3 hours here??....a 10" deep silver quarter....an 11" deep wheatie... a 9" deep merc straight on edge....a tiny sterling insignia ring...and a bunch more wheaties.
I called Phil over on the 11" deep wheatie...and let's just say he was more than impressed with the signal the SEF gave me. ::) I also called him over on the 9" deep merc on edge...and again he was more than impressed when I raised the SEF coil 2" off the ground...and it still sounded pretty sweet. :thumbsup: I honestly thought it was a deep wheatie the way the cursor was dancing around the clad dime area. Once we got the plug dug...we located the signal at the bottom side of the hole on edge. I dug out the little clod...and out popped a 1937 merc. We were both very impressed. Let's just say...I'm almost certain he will be buying a 10 x 12 SEF coil very soon to work alongside his pro coil..after seeing it work for me. ;D
My coin totals for the 9 hour day from 3 pounded to death parks that both Phil and I have hit numerous times with our 1050 coils: 24 Wheaties....1 Roosey...3 Mercs...2 silver washington quarters...1 standing Liberty quarter..and a tiny sterling insignia ring with the letter S on it. :thumbsup: ;D
I still love my 1050 coil..and it will always have a place in my arsenal. It is very easy to swing...just glides smoothly along the ground. ...and for lack of a better way to say it...JUST FINDS STUFF. If theres no stubble though..and the grass isn't too tall...the SEF coil will be on my SE...just ask Phil.

I will say again...I'm impressed with the Minelab pro coil too. I found some nice stuff while using the pro coil a few days ago when doing some multi coil testing. It's also light...light...light.....and goes deep...it's a winner...so I'll be using it quite a bit too. ;D :thumbsup:
Today though...my time was devoted to really testing out the 10 x 12 SEF...and it absolutely produced deep coins from sites Phil and I have previously pounded with the 1050 coil. :thumbsup:
Now if we could only get some RAIN. I love hunting in moist conditions and seem to get my best depth and signals in wet soil. I do get a little more falsing...but the depth and seemingly better signals more than make up for it to me. I choose to continue to run my gain high even if I get a little falsing...because I want to hear those deep chirps as best as I can. What I will do at times is drop the sensitivity just a little which makes the falsing minimal...but with the high gain...still allows me to hear the deep silver hits.

Attachments

• coins87.jpg
    coins87.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,709
Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bro you are tearing it up!

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Great finds Bryce. Really interesting post it gives me more faith in digging those iffy signals with the pro coil. I'm going to try this at some hit hard parks. thanks
JDD

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Bryce, another fine hunt for you. Awesome! :thumbsup: I can see the SEF is a killer coil in the hands of an experienced Explorer user!!

Was Phil able to hear any of your deep coin hits with his Pro Coil? Did he have the same setup on his machine as you did? I dug 10 or so deep wheaties last week with the pro coil (down to almost 10").

Fantastic to find 3 quarters in one hunt!! And that's a lot of wheats for you too!!

Good job!
CAPTN SE
Dan

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You did good today, Silver!! :o Way to dig those iffies!!! :icon_king:

Nana :wink:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another fine hunt Bryce..your knowledge of the equipment you're using has really paid off for you!

Hope you get some rain soon..

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
bro you are tearing it up!
Thanks bro. I got a bad sunburn on my shoulders to show for it...and a worse one on top of my head ;D

jeffmrgan said:
you are the man :thumbsup:
Thanks jeff ;D....just had a good day..and luck factors in a lot.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Deere Digger said:
Great finds Bryce. Really interesting post it gives me more faith in digging those iffy signals with the pro coil. I'm going to try this at some hit hard parks. thanks
JDD
Thanks J double D. I think I get credit for "branding" you as JDD many months ago in one of your first posts...and everyone now knows you as JDD ;D :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Wow, Bryce, another fine hunt for you. Awesome! :thumbsup: I can see the SEF is a killer coil in the hands of an experienced Explorer user!!

Was Phil able to hear any of your deep coin hits with his Pro Coil? Did he have the same setup on his machine as you did? I dug 10 or so deep wheaties last week with the pro coil (down to almost 10").

Fantastic to find 3 quarters in one hunt!! And that's a lot of wheats for you too!!

Good job!
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks buddy. I sent you a couple of pm's :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
radarwill said:
Now thats making something out of seemingly nothing to the extreme.
I'm not worthy. :thumbsup:
:D Thanks radarwill. I absolutely love hunting pounded parks :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
Wow! You did good today, Silver!! :o Way to dig those iffies!!! :icon_king:

Nana :wink:
Thanks nana. I didn't dig a whole lot of trash either :thumbsup:...okay...okay...I did dig some ;D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman said:
Another fine hunt Bryce..your knowledge of the equipment you're using has really paid off for you!

Hope you get some rain soon..

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat
Thanks Nat. I appreciate the kind words. I'm just happy the coil passed over some stuff that gave me the opportunity to dig. Some days...well.... ???

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Alright Bryce ... :thumbsup:

You are beyond words my man ...

9 hour marathon ... Damn I thought my 6er's were nuts...

Rock On & Persevere ~ Nick
Thanks Nick. Trust me a "6er" is more than long enough for me. I usually putz out at about 3 to 4 hours ;D
Today though...I was determined to really learn some things about the coil I was using :thumbsup: Take care bro

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another nice hunt bryce. 9 hrs detecting. I did 5 1/2 the other day
in the woods .Worked the hillsides. I woke up in the middle of the night with a leg cramp that I thought wood never go away. :thumbsup:

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Wow!! that is some nice silver coinage you got there! Love the SLQ! Looks just like mine. Any idea on the date?

Ray

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Now that's a sweet pile of silver! You certainly earned every bit of it putting all that time and effort in to learning the coil and doing all the digging, nice job!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread