Have you ever found a horseshoe like this?

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Attachments

• Thick horseshoe.jpg
    Thick horseshoe.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 363
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one fat pony!!!! ;D

Don't ya just love findin 'em!

;) ;) ;) ;)

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey CIV....Yeah, I've seen one before. They were used on mine burros. The cleats on the toe and both heels were for traction on steep ascents out of the mine, and they were wide to protect the soft underside of their hooves from rock rubble. Nothing worse for a miner than a donkey that couldn't pull his weight but didn't lose his appetite. Are there any mines around there or was it a souvenir for somebody? Fun find~CO2 ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an ox shoe maybe?

P

Parangjim

I'm with Colorado2. we see a lot of those in coal country. Horses were too large to go into the mines, so they used ponies to pull the coalcars. I grew up not too far from a town called The Pound. It was named after a huge natural corrall where ponies were held until they were sold.
jim

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Thank you all very much. It looks like it could be a pony or donkey shoe then. We don't have any mines around, but donkeys we do have and have had. I have found the ox shoes before, and because of their split hoof they are in two separate parts, so donkey or poney it must be. Once again the forum solves another problem. Thanks again...Lance

Oh yeah....I like the idea of holding down a light pony in the wind!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread