Big Whoot! First Silver!!

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
This afternoon, on the 75th day of my treasure hunting career, I found my first silver coin! Now, I know that for a lot of you experts here , finding silver is like falling off a log in your sleep, but I hope you don't mind if I tell a few of the details of my story, if only to encourage other beginners.
I had an opportunity today for a short hunt of the yard of my parent's farmhouse. The house dates to 1904, the farm to the 1880's at least. I have hit this yard hard over the last two months, finding 12 wheats, 40-50 clad, a few pieces of jewelry , and numerous relics such as bullets, buttons, buckles, and farm items. But no silver coins. I have always believed that the yard is loaded with old coins, but it is so filled with metallic trash that the deeper targets are mostly hidden.
I started today in the front yard, which is less trashy and where I have found most of the wheat pennies. Within three minutes I got an excellent coin signal. Totally solid from all directions. The pinpointer gave a depth reading of six inches.
When I put in the trowel, I hit something hard just under the grass. When I peeled back the grass,, I was dismayed to see a root almost 2 inches in diameter, which I realized must come from an oak tree 20 feet away. I pinpointed again, and, of course, the target was directly under the root. (such is life).
I dug around either side of the root, and encountered smaller, but still thick, ancillary roots. Whenever possible, I avoid cutting roots, so I dug around them with difficulty and finally got a bit of a hole going that looked like this:
firstsilverhole.JPG
The roots made for awkward digging angles, so I could only remove small amounts of dirt at a time. Since I was digging blindly underneath the roots, every few scoops I stopped and ran my hand around the hole, feeling for metal. I fully expected to find a chunk of can or an amorphous blob of metal. Joe the Dog watched patiently, perhaps hoping I would pull out a bone:
joewatchingdig.JPG
Twice I seriously considered quitting, since I just couldn't locate the target. But every time I rechecked the hole, I got the same consistent, clear dime/quarter signal, and I figured I just wouldn't give up on it.
At last, after about ten minutes of work, I rechecked the hole and -- Nothing!
Holding my breath, I swept the coil over the pile and got what I recognized as a definitive coin signal. Since the hole was now easily 6-7 inches deep, I figured it must be a wheat penny, and was glad to have a decent coin after all that work.
I pawed the pile and couldn't find it. Nothing unusual-dirty pennies are often hard to find.
I hand-sifted and swept the coil several times, until finally I scooped up some dirt and saw-the glint of silver!
I looked closer, and when I saw the fasces and the axehead I knew instantly what I had:
First silver 005.jpg
firstsilverreverse.JPG
Needless to say, I was thrilled. Hopefully, this will the first of many silvers to come. Thanks for reading and happy hunting to you all!

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver...That is one beautiful coin...but man, you have the patience of Job...I would have long given up on that one...one that I would have missed...You did good.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Nice first time silver. Great digs.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 499
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 497

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
Nice find. I've been detecting off and on for quite sometime with only 3 silvers to my name. 2 of which are mercs. You can usually tell as soon as you pull it out, it's silver.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your still on a silver high aren't ya? I found my first merc last thurs..and am still dumbfounded.. so big time congrats to you and hope you find lots more too.. :thumbsup:

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
My first silver was also a Merc at a local park. I was with my mom and I was ranting to her that this park never gives up anything good and that we should just leave. As I am telling her that, I'm digging away at a dime signal that shows only two inches deep. And low and behold a Merc falls from the hole into the grass and I just about pooped myself. I guess the metal detecting Gods showed me up on that one, BUT I have never found another silver at that park.....

So....a big congrats!

FYI....I have found more Merc's at my old middle school than I have anywhere, and that school wasn't built until after the Merc was discontinued.....figure that one out.....

Greg

kansas coin hunter

Feb 24, 2008
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites q2 6000 di series 3 6000di pro and whites bulleye pin pointer
hey dude get a pin pointer and you will love it keeep the passion high and swing that coil kch

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I have a target ( coin ) that's under some roots also: BIG OAK tree on old school grounds.
Have to wait for some rain; ground is very hard! It's also at 6 or 7 in". Hope mine it worth
the trouble also. Just love to dig those little dime's

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
congrats man... nuttin like the feelin of your first silver.... esp after digging like that for it... even better that you didnt scar it up digging it out.. did that to a nice 1899 Barber Dime last yr...... there is definitely more oldies there.... dig the "iffy" signals... you will dig more junk that way but also get more goodies.... just remember.. every piece of junk you pick outta that yard, is one less you will hit next time....and it makes you one target closer to finding the cool oldies..

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
I remember my first one. I diddnt belive it was less then 2 inches deep so i put it in my pile and couldnt find it cause i forogt to rescan. Then .. bam i checked my pile.

Good job

LT

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz on that first silver and a fine one it was too ... hope it is the first of many more for ya ~ Jimmy

OP
OP
MrBling

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Thanks everybody!
And you guys are right, a handheld pinpointer is on my shopping list

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Merc! Way to persevere. :thumbsup:

Keep digging!

p.s. Nice looking dog.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
once you've primed the pump look out. just wait until your first gold then you will understand the need to swing and dig dirt. seriously this is the best hobby in the world.

I hope you find many more.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good first silver, mine, as well as many others was a Rosie. Good stuff,
CurbdiggerCarl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread