Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The History of the 1836 Farmhouse of J.A. McDonald I've been hunting all summer

Good evening fellow detectorists.Finally sent off for some old platt maps of the area I have been hunting. I really want to hunt pre-1900 areas that are mostly gone. Got the maps back and have been studying them with arial photos and map quest. It's amazing how unchanged most of the roads are in rural Ohio. Most of them were named after old timers long gone and were just gravel or dirt . I have already found 3 existing homes and more are where I know them to be as I grew up here as a kid from the 50's (not to reveal my age). I know where there are several that I knew about or played in that are gone. Can't wait for harvest time. Anyway, The most recent home belonged to J.A.McDonald, a prominent man in this area as the size of his house and other land that he owned on the 1875 platt maps. He was obviously wealthy. The property sat on 51 acres and he had another 324 acres near by. Thats a lot of land in those days.The most recent people were the Botkins and the Ingrams, which my father knew. What a priveledge for me to be able to hunt here as well as find photos of the place from the 1800's. It really must have been a special place back then. As I peek into the windows most of the place seems to be untouched from the wooden floors to the lightinging (which obviously came later on) and the old door knobs. The front door still retains the original door bell (although it was replace with a newer door they installed the old door ringer).The house is still vaccant as the owners cannot sell it and the land for 350K. I personally would like to buy it but it's too old of a house. I don't know the condition of the structure in general although it appears to be good. But to heat this place in Ohio in the winter would be costly.Unfortunaely, the reminants of hurricane Ike ravaged central Ohio too. I cannot hunt there as several very old trees fell and there was damage to the roof as well.I have included the picture of the house from today and an artist sketch of the house in 1870. The house is unchanged except for the front porch is gone and the side room is gone. The railing on top of the roof is gone. This must have been an early design to signify size and wealth. All of the old barns and smaller structures are gone except for the corn crib. Unfortunately it was half blown over.I also posted some of my earlier finds of this year from the McDonald place. They are just the significant finds as I found too much to repost everything. The last 2 pictures are places that are still there and are about 3 miles from town. The Lazy Mans Rest has extensive history in the library for the underground railroad. My Grandmother knows the owner so I just have to catch them at home and ask. That is about 1 full acre of old buildings and barns. The home is brick. I don't know about the other one yet. Enjoy, Ron Smith Sorry about the pics being out of sequence ;D

Picture758.jpg

Picture382-4.jpg

Picture394-2.jpg

Picture490.jpg

Picture760.jpg

Picture761.jpg

Picture406.jpg

Picture420-1.jpg

Picture515.jpg

Picture529-1.jpg

Picture516.jpg

Picture518.jpg

Picture516.jpg

Picture517.jpg

Picture390-1.jpg

Picture521.jpg

Picture483-1.jpg

Picture427-1.jpg

Picture557.jpg

Picture433.jpg

Picture501-1.jpg

Picture510.jpg

Picture508.jpg

Picture469.jpg

Picture526.jpg

Picture468.jpg

Picture763.jpg

Picture417.jpg

Picture523.jpg

Picture762.jpg

Picture413.jpg

Picture765.jpg

Picture766.jpg

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: History of the 1836 Farmhouse I've been hunting all summer

That's awesome, good job on research and stuff !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Very nice job! The button looks like its almost brand new! Very good job on the indian head cents and the key! :)

bill57485

Jun 26, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6, 9.5 coil , 5.3 eclipse , Sunray DX-1 probe , RaTPhones Max , 7" Lesche Digger

WOW...Them are some really nice coins great shape! Congrats!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If this doesn't motivate a guy to go out and hunt nothing will. Wow Congrats on your research sites.

Burdie

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: OMG man!!! that is sweet digs!!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Burdie said:
If this doesn't motivate a guy to go out and hunt nothing will. Wow Congrats on your research sites.

Burdie

Thanks Burdie and other comments. I spent 5 bucks a piece for thoses maps and I found the same 1874 platt Atlas at our local library. Made copies for 15 cents. Librarys are a wealth of history for the taking. Ours has such a large area just on history of our county. With modern tech. GPS, and satelite photos you can too find these places. I just have to wait for the corn and beans to be cut. I have found three more places that I know exactly where they were as a kid and I have drove by checking them out. Can't wait. With all of the 7 townships in the county there are many old school houses, a few still standing and many homes, most gone. I already know of 3 still standing from at least 1875

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Holy Cow jarhead ...

That is RIGHTEOUS ... :thumbsup:

A STELLAR assortment ...

However ~ That Button Rocks ...

Congratulations ~ Great Post ...

Thanks Nick. That button was about 4 inches down in front of the house about 10 feet out. That's the way it came out of the ground. As I have said in many of my post the soil here is gentle on coins and other metals

~ Nick ~

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post. :thumbsup: I love the history behind the places we hunt. I wish the land could talk. I would sit around and listen to it all day long. :D

Congrats on the finds as well. Top notch in anyone's book. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Evolution said:
Great post. :thumbsup: I love the history behind the places we hunt. I wish the land could talk. I would sit around and listen to it all day long. :D

Congrats on the finds as well. Top notch in anyone's book. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comment. I've loved history all of my life. People only see whats in front of them. I see things that once were and dream about how we evolved over time. I found 3 lantern tops there. I just imagined Mr. McDonald sitting in there at night reading perhaps in front of a kerosene lantern.... no electricity, no cars, and no running water. An outhouse for the toilet. Those people were hardy people for sure. We have it so easy today.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The History of the 1836 Farmhouse of J.A. McDonald I've been hunting all summer

Great Research! The first pic looks like it was done by Currier & Ives? Those are some great finds and in great condition. Congrats!

Brian

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Re: The History of the 1836 Farmhouse of J.A. McDonald I've been hunting all summer

Sure are nice finds. Research really helps. Best of Luck.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

baspinall said:
Great Research! The first pic looks like it was done by Currier & Ives? Those are some great finds and in great condition. Congrats!

Brian

Actually the sketch was done by Strobridge and Company, Cincinnati, Ohio.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THAT, is the perfect hunt!! :thumbsup:

It's really cool when research pays off :wink: As Nick would say, those Indians are STELLAR!

Nice!
watercolor

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

watercolor said:
THAT, is the perfect hunt!! :thumbsup:

It's really cool when research pays off :wink: As Nick would say, those Indians are STELLAR!

Nice!
watercolor

I didn't get all of that stuff in one day ;D There was some blood, sweat but no tears shed on those hot summer days. I've hunted a good acre there this summer. The surrounding beans will be out by next month and I have more to do. There wasn't beans there back in the 1800's. There was more land to his property which is now leased to a local farmer for 9000 a year.

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006

holy smokes dude!!!!! ya killed em! keep it up! oh by the way did u find the largie close to the house or far away?

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

diggindeep said:
holy smokes dude!!!!! ya killed em! keep it up! oh by the way did u find the largie close to the house or far away?

Found it in the back yard. There used to be livestock barns back there. Thats where they probably kept there horses too. About 50 feet back. The coin was 6 inches down. I found another one there earlier but is was beside the old sidewalk. I just stood out back and imagined how people would walk from the front to the back and the path they were likely to take. Thats where I focused mosyt of my attention. I actually had gridded off the back with string in 100x10 foot boxes and swept the heck out of it. I had hunted back there but had missed it. This method is very affective for the serious detectorist. This old place had potential so I just didn't want to hunt it carelessly once and leave.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

CJH AMAZING finds and research maps !!

I LOVE the finds, the key is killer nice but that '52 is dang near flawless ! She's Gorgeous !

Keep it going :thumbsup:

Derek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread