Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been in the hobby for 5 or 6 weeks now, and probably in the same place most of you reading this were, in that period of your starting out. I have posted notices at work, asking for suggestions on places I may hunt. When I first announced to my closer friends that I was getting in this hobby, a few gave me permission to hunt their properties. I feel like I have practically had to beg for places to go. Ever since I went on the first dig, I have become obsessed in what I might find on the next one. I am sure many of you are nodding, remembering how you were ( or may still be? ).
Maybe I just have a defect in the amount of energy I spend on something that is new and exciting to me. I say this because of the number of people that have told me they too have detectors but have never used them! Pure insanity and disregard for the possibilities of bliss they surely would have!
Yesterday was a real test for me. I overheard a co-worker say something about a "new metal detector" he had. I asked him if I had heard him right since I never knew he was in the hobby. He said he had received it as a Christmas gift 2 YEARS AGO. He put it together and has yet to use it. He then told me he has wanted to detect this one certain site. On his mother in law's farm is the " home of a settler that was burned out by Indians" in his words. He said " there is no telling what relics he may find".
I couldn't believe someone had yet to use a detector in over 2 years AND had free access to a hunter's dream site. Here I am dreaming of a site like this, spending my time learning in modern parks and on modern lawns. I couldn't wait to get my detector out and tried to avoid the still frozen areas in my haste and yearning. I found my first ring last week and was as excited as the first time I rode a bike with no training wheels....even though it was plated and the stone was missing! What do you want to bet my procrastinating acquaintance finds something spectacular if he ever goes?

Happy Hunting!

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you asked him if you could detect there? Either with him or own your own. I would.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I let him know how I would love to get to go there, hoping he'd take the hint. If he doesn't, I will take the leap and make it clear.

Happy Hunting!

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I let him know how I would love to get to go there, hoping he'd take the hint. If he doesn't, I will take the leap and make it clear.

Happy Hunting!

Sounds good, definitely try to get permission. Good luck!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang tough:laughing7: Do your research,learn your machine well,practice makes perfect. GodBless Chris

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang tough:laughing7: Do your research,learn your machine well,practice makes perfect. GodBless Chris

Thanks. I am learning the det every time I go out, and because of my excitement for the hobby, I go out quite a bit, lol. So far no silver but my clad collection is growing, lol.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old dude, did you ask him yet? just ask him if he would like to go detecting one weekend and detect the property, the worse he can say is no, just do your reaserch on your area and try knocking on some doors.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old dude, did you ask him yet? just ask him if he would like to go detecting one weekend and detect the property, the worse he can say is no, just do your reaserch on your area and try knocking on some doors.

Thanks! We work different shifts so haven't had a chance to ask yet, but I do intend to. I am lucky enough to live in an area with a long history.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great! i hope you get a chance to ask soon, if you havnt already yet, i live in the middle of the az dessert, just outside of phoenix, you might also want to check out for old ghost towns in your county, their are lots that people havnt been to yet.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After we each had vacations and he was off for a bit with a pinched nerve, we finally got together enough to discuss this trip. He said he will take me when he goes but wants to wait till colder weather because of ticks.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
darn! But hope you guys still do go out their sometime! Bet their are some great relics and artifacts their! GL HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread