What does everyone think of the AA Alcoholics Anonymous

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does everyone think of the 'AA' Alcoholics Anonymous

I was gonna post a thread in gen Dis, but this topic seemed not to really fit .

Was gonna call it "thought of the day".

Just woke up , & in the AM Is when I kind really feel Myself "Kinda" Just out of a Crazy Dream State.

Guess if you are in AA it's Anonymous , so you can not talk about it. lol

So much I want to say & ask ,b/t I type to slow & get Off track easy.

I was just thinking about getting my 13 year chip. 'tho I never Worked the Program'
Just wondering if they would think that I really have 13 years Sober (No Alcohol) but I still take Xanax everyday, but don't Abuse It.

Am I Really Sober?

I know that I am , Never blacked out on Pills (Benzos) Alone. Really never mixed them while I was drinking, but that K-Pin has a long half Life .
Also have not woke up in Jail. Or wanna Fight everybody 'Cause I hate Myself"
Hmmmmm???

Likely a Taboo Subject & Many won't admit Addiction, Heck I.m addicted to Metal Detecting.
OR Obsessed , as they say.
BUT
I don't care to talk about my past, not running for office at this time + I inhaled 1,000's of times.
HH & GD All
Davers:thumbsup:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sry! I do find the humor in your post! Although I have not had the same experiences. I am very, close to some people who have. There are functional, and non-functional? Users?

I think I get where you are going with this, and I don't really care what people do! I do support personal choices and don't feel they are all a "problem"! I do have thoughts on this stuff and kind of watched, talked, to family and friends, because I find the topic interesting and never ending.........

Or maybe I misunderstand what you are asking for thoughts on?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I took xanax everyday I'd be in a dream state too. I'd probably never get out of bed. Programs are for people who lack the willpower to quit something on their own. That's my thought of the day.

[h=2][/h]

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
answering your Title alone.

Not Very Much.

Yuppie B.S.

No I am not an Alcoholic, I suppose at one point I could have been.
Had my ability to tell myself enough is enough not been there.

I've only been addicted to one substance. Cigarettes.
and since I was able to quit them, I'm not even sure I was fully addicted there either.

What do I think about AA ?
the same thing I think of all Support Groups. a Joke !
an excuse for people to get together, cry & blame others for their deficiencies.

Like it or not that is what I think of AA

The biggest joke they get up and make a speech that every time starts with
"Hi I'm _____ & I'm an Alcoholic" even if everyone there already knows them :icon_scratch:Sounds more like they are Proud & have bigger problems to me.

I found the easiest way to quit something was to forget it exists for awhile.

My guess AA is Big Business too . Big $$$ for someone

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sry! I do find the humor in your post! Although I have not had the same experiences. I am very, close to some people who have. There are functional, and non-functional? Users?

I think I get where you are going with this, and I don't really care what people do! I do support personal choices and don't feel they are all a "problem"! I do have thoughts on this stuff and kind of watched, talked, to family and friends, because I find the topic interesting and never ending.........

Or maybe I misunderstand what you are asking for thoughts on?

No humor Intended.

The only humor to me is the Court System forcing people to go to AA meetings , ie, 30 meetings in 30 days . OK
If I was working the program , I Would not want people there that were forced to be there & would rather be else ware.
+ I rarely make since .

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I took xanax everyday I'd be in a dream state too. I'd probably never get out of bed. Programs are for people who lack the willpower to quit something on their own. That's my thought of the day.

[h=2][/h]

Na the Xanax had worn off , So no dream state when I posted.
Am I dreaming Now???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No humor Intended.

The only humor to me is the Court System forcing people to go to AA meetings , ie, 30 meetings in 30 days . OK
If I was working the program , I Would not want people there that were forced to be there & would rather be else ware.
+ I rarely make since .

like a cult :unhappysmiley:

like the "Kids for Cash" Scandal

I wonder what type of Kickbacks the judges get for forcing people to sign up

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on waking up today Davers. Not every one will.
No chalk outline around you either, your off to a good start.

If AA helps one person it's worth it.
I considered turning alchy pro, but body and brain revolted. Today a beer or two and I'm not driving or making important decisions.
We all have our demons.
Facing them is a personal thing but if associating with others fighting similar challenges helps; then fine.
Wanting to fight an addiction and being able to are different though.
Today is the anniversary of an O.D. that as for so many others still does not sit right.
Very real though, and willpower alone was not enough to turn a back on an addiction.
What support could have helped when so much was tried will not be known.

If AA is trying can it help pierce through to a persons addiction enough for some one to break away, though constantly vulnerable after?
Sometimes learning the why's, how's,and when's of vulnerability and how physical addiction work have helped fight.
For some, not being alone in a fight is preferred, while to others alone suits them better; but knowledge can help a plan /course first.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What do I think of A.A?

I wish my stepfather had at least tried. He was killed instantly driving drunk, taking two others with him in 1998.

Some help somewhere might have prevented that.

He was a good man, but needed the cure.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the saying ." once a drunk always a drunk" BS!

I only have gone to 3 meetings in the last few years , to get a Chip No-body but me cares about.
It does seem a-lot of these folks are still Very Unhappy.

Anyway just wondering if one has not had a drink in 10 + years , but takes Xanax everyday. Does AA consider then sober?
IMO In AA one would be Sober.
But
In NA One would Not be Sober.
That's all

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do I think of A.A?

I wish my stepfather had at least tried. He was killed instantly driving drunk, taking two others with him in 1998.

Some help somewhere might have prevented that.

He was a good man, but needed the cure.

Very sorry to hear that. I do think most things AA etc , are def, worth a try.

I Know a Guy who in his teen's or early 20's Was driving drunk ,crashed & Killed his friend.
Rode the "Wagon " off & on , Now He Drinks everyday drives most days ,is an Obnoxious mean Drunk but he is to the point of Drink in the AM or Suffer Severe Shakes & bad DT's.

AA seemed to help him in the past but Now he is way out of control again, next DUI will be his 3 or 4 th.
Guess you have to be in that persons shoes to truly understand.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on waking up today Davers. Not every one will.
No chalk outline around you either, your off to a good start.

If AA helps one person it's worth it.
I considered turning alchy pro, but body and brain revolted. Today a beer or two and I'm not driving or making important decisions.
We all have our demons.
Facing them is a personal thing but if associating with others fighting similar challenges helps; then fine.
Wanting to fight an addiction and being able to are different though.
Today is the anniversary of an O.D. that as for so many others still does not sit right.
Very real though, and willpower alone was not enough to turn a back on an addiction.
What support could have helped when so much was tried will not be known.

If AA is trying can it help pierce through to a persons addiction enough for some one to break away, though constantly vulnerable after?
Sometimes learning the why's, how's,and when's of vulnerability and how physical addiction work have helped fight.
For some, not being alone in a fight is preferred, while to others alone suits them better; but knowledge can help a plan /course first.

Very true.
Everybody is Different.
Many times when it's to late , those ?'s What if? , Why, Would this have helped? Did I do enough? or To Much.
Questions that can never be answered .
As I stated Tho it's not for everyone but those with addictions & WANT to Quit should try every option.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No humor Intended.

+ I rarely make since .

I agree! The humor comment, I didn't really explain. But was not really directed at you personally. It's the titles and "problems" stuck or forced on people? I have some close friends that drink a lot of beer! Probably a 12 to 30 pack almost every night. They toke, take pills or whatever else occasionally, I'm trusted by them and don't look down on them, so I hear all the details and their thoughts on it.. And they are functional! They go to work. They take care of their families. They don't feel it's a problem. Some are wealthy! Now, most of society,laws,etc...Claims this is a disease and a problem. Well, maybe to some! Others are fine with it, their families are fine with it. So, where's the problem? I had one friend tell me...."Meetings are for alcoholics and drug addicts with a problem, I'm a drunk and an occasional user with no problem." Sounded stupid to me at first...But after I thought about it, I thought, he's right! It's not really a problem unless he feels it is! And as long as he is functioning in his home or society? Who cares, what choice he makes.

I might have missed the point completely. But I agree with Jeffof pa. It is a HUGE money maker!(the whole subject) In all kinds of directions!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know several people who were able to stop drinking through AA and the support of their members. Some people are wired differently and just cant quit on their own...

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if youve never worked the program then youve never gotten sober.your a dry drunk.the programs about changing yourself.not just putting down the alcohol,thats not what makes you sober.sorry cheif,guys like you think you can just sit back and stay the same just without the alcohol and that makes you sober.then somehow believe you deserve a coin from a program you know nothing about because you just havent drank.and have never worked it.you want to get sober,get in the program.you can be in aa or around aa.i choose to be in and sober.good luck and remember,alcohol,drugs are all the same.if your taking anything to change your brain then your not sober.a drug is a drug is a drug.alcohol is a drug also.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if youve never worked the program then youve never gotten sober.your a dry drunk.the programs about changing yourself.not just putting down the alcohol,thats not what makes you sober.sorry cheif,guys like you think you can just sit back and stay the same just without the alcohol and that makes you sober.then somehow believe you deserve a coin from a program you know nothing about because you just havent drank.and have never worked it.you want to get sober,get in the program.you can be in aa or around aa.i choose to be in and sober.good luck and remember,alcohol,drugs are all the same.if your taking anything to change your brain then your not sober.a drug is a drug is a drug.alcohol is a drug also.
I completely disagree with this statement. I will leave it at that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also disagree, if you haven't drank in 1,3,5 or what ever years, if someone has realized they can not handle alcohol and stopped drinking they are sober. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic, but your a sober alcoholic...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of these programs or ideas are a "one size fits all". It's whatever works for each person to reach their goal! If you need support? There is nothing wrong with that. If you don't and want to try it your way? nothing wrong with that either. As long as your goal is reached at some point! Everyone is different and have their own choices to make!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread