BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 experts were interviewed. They both said the Gorilla was already agitated, and then the crowd screaming made that worse.
They also said a sedative could take 20-45 minutes to work, and further enrage the animal, so they had no choice.

3 foot fence...WOW. Should have been at least 6'-8'. IMO

beep beep dig

Aug 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 experts were interviewed. They both said the Gorilla was already agitated, and then the crowd screaming made that worse.
They also said a sedative could take 20-45 minutes to work, and further enrage the animal, so they had no choice.

3 foot fence...WOW. Should have been at least 6'-8'. IMO

that fence has worked just fine for 38 years for millions of zoo visitors. clearly, the fence isn't the problem.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems to me they were just lucky to this point.
If a Kid can got through it was not working . Period

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years ago I was part of a team treating a three-year-old girl that had fallen 30-feet through a six-inch opening between a four-foot glass wall and an escalator at our local mall. Her mother, a tourist from Sweden, said she lost sight of her for "just a moment." Should the mother accept full blame for her child's fall? Should she have been criminally charged? After all, hundreds-of-thousands had used those escalators with no problem up until that point.

We stablized the little girl and got her off to the O.R. where they saved her life. The mall made the needed changes after they were sued by the family.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
On one hand, I say it's wrong to try to make this a "sterile" society when it comes to safety. On the other hand, that doesn't mean we should throw common sense out the window. Accidents WILL happen....eventually.

The parent made a momentary mistake that they're not likely to make again. The zoo had a safety issue that they "should" get fixed. Was an expensive loss on both sides; a little boy on one and a gorilla on the other. In the grand scheme of things, the parent is the one that has lost the most.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fence should be angled back at the top towards the patrons..........that would discourage even the most determined.........
People are more reactive than ever.........and should be more proactive.
The question shouldn't be "Who can we blame", the question should be "How can we prevent this from happening again"..................

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems to me they were just lucky to this point.
If a Kid can got through it was not working . Period

In the past, kids minded their parents and had respect for the rules.........too much "entitlement" mindset goin' on today.............

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The person with their finger on the trigger and pulled it put a lot of thought into the consequences if they didn't. Child or animal? The legality and aftermath was not on this persons mind. Save the child was the only way to resolve this very unfortunate
and unpredictable circumstance. Only hope that lessons are learned and changes are made to avoid this unhappy ending no matter how you look at it.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep but some people don't watch their kids at all, just take a trip to the store sometime and watch as parents let their kids break and tear stuff up and as long as they don't bother them everything is fine. I watched the other day at the meat counter some little kid smashing buns in his hands while his mother was on her phone and when she was done she told him to put that down we have to go, I would always tell my kids are you going to buy that? then I would say then leave that alone. I really don't know why we even put people in jail now as we should just tell them you shouldn't do that and don't do that again, as one can't whip your kids now it's about the same. HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course it depends who it is a couple years ago a cops kid shot and killed himself and that was just a tragic accident, anyone else and yes charges would have been filed as it was not even child welfare even got involved. HH
Parents should be charged and fined for causing his death. Charge is "child endangerment"... No different than being charged when a child gets ahold of a loaded gun.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So many of you would be sooo pissed at me if it was my choice of who got to walk out of that zoo exhibit that day.

I'd bet that i come across 10+ people a week at the grocery store, diesel station, out and about, etc that i'd favor a field mouse over.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Politically Correct Filter ON

That poor woman. What she must have went through watching her baby in the enclosure. Terrifying. The zoo should have had a better fence. They should also have more personnel monitoring potentially hazardous exhibits. It's sad, but the gorilla had to be shot.

Politically Correct Filter OFF

The world is full of out of control little brats running amok within our society. Shoot the kid.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a sad situation, glad the boy is ok. The animals are there for OUR entertainment/education/$$ and due to lacking on our part, whether enclosure issues, sugar or parental the gorilla had to be killed.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Politically Correct Filter ON

That poor woman. What she must have went through watching her baby in the enclosure. Terrifying. The zoo should have had a better fence. They should also have more personnel monitoring potentially hazardous exhibits. It's sad, but the gorilla had to be shot.

Politically Correct Filter OFF

The world is full of out of control little brats running amok within our society. Shoot the kid. THEN shoot the woman!!

Guy, I noticed that your post was incomplete - like you accidentally hit the <ENTER> key too soon. Don't worry though, I made the correction for ya'. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many of you would be sooo pissed at me if it was my choice of who got to walk out of that zoo exhibit that day.

I'd bet that i come across 10+ people a week at the grocery store, diesel station, out and about, etc that i'd favor a field mouse over.

~Tejaas~

in My case, I bet you can't find 1 Human Being, I would favor an Animal over when your Talking Life or death. 100% of the People over 100% of the Animals imo. No matter who.

Yes I may prefer certain people be Locked up, over certain animals
such at animals that are hunted for meat and sport should be free
to be hunted.

Yes I will concede there are Certain Human Beings who don't deserve to live.

but again I believe it is 100% human life over all animals imo

& if I had the choice of taking the life of a canary in a Cage by reaching in and Crushing it,
or pulling a Switch on an Electric Chair.

That Canary would be no More !

sorry !

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
in My case, I bet you can't find 1 Human Being, I would favor an Animal over when your Talking Life or death. 100% of the People over 100% of the Animals imo. No matter who.

Yes I may prefer certain people be Locked up, over certain animals
such at animals that are hunted for meat and sport should be free
to be hunted.

Yes I will concede there are Certain Human Beings who don't deserve to live.

but again I believe it is 100% human life over all animals imo

& if I had the choice of taking the life of a canary in a Cage by reaching in and Crushing it,
or pulling a Switch on an Electric Chair.

That Canary would be no More !

sorry !

No reason to be sorry - it's this attitude that has helped to make mankind the ultimate creature on the planet. Sadly, however, mankind has been smart enough to get by the "checks and balances" of nature to the point of over-population. Many folks will say we're no where NEAR over-populated. Some (like me) say we are. Not really sure there's a right or wrong either way.

Was watching an episode of M*A*S*H recently - Col. Potter commented on something he read in a newspaper about the US population being at 180 million, or something like that. He was baffled at how we could expand any more! Said there wasn't room for what we "did" have. Yet here we are today at about 324 MILLION people and growing rapidly!!

So many people here on Tnet talk about how they go into stores now and folks are so rude. A lot of that is because of population density. I still live in a sparsely-populated area, but it is growing. We are not NEARLY to the point where there should be people nearly fighting over what they see for sale in the store or at an auction. Yet this "GET IT AT ANY COST" mentality is already here - coincidentally, just as the number of people from larger metropolitan areas has chosen to leave the big city for a small-town life, not even realizing that they are bringing in that big-city attitude with them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over populated only because of the enviro-Mental-ists imo

I believe acre for acre There is more Underpopulated areas in PA alone.

Don't get me Wrong, I choose this

2.jpg

over this

1.jpg

but I think there is more of this

3.jpg

in the world

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorilla World to Reopen at Cincinnati Zoo With 'Modified' Barrier - ABC News

Gorilla pen to reopen with new modified barrier, 42" instead of, what was it... 36"?

That 6" should help a lot.:BangHead:

They should put a strand of electric fence on the human side, that would stop most idiots.

Of course shoot the Gorilla, any one that says not probably has a hard time imagining a loved one in that situation.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of experts and people who seem to know best in this thread. Everyone has an opinion, apparently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread