OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Any help or info on the keystone item would be appreciated. There is a round holder in the back, like it would fit in a bottom hole???

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do they actually give out permission to hunt the battlefields? If so it'd be great to know whether it's worth asking for hunt permission for Brandywine or Valley Forge, which are in my area.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Do they actually give out permission to hunt the battlefields? If so it'd be great to know whether it's worth asking for hunt permission for Brandywine or Valley Forge, which are in my area.

Permission is NEVER granted on Federal or State battleground property. Penalties are extremely severe, and while you might possibly get a warning the first time, subsequent times they will apply the maximum penalty. Confiscation of equipment, impound your vehicle, and jail and/or stiff fines. Not worth a few buttons or a buckle. You're practically digging in a graveyard at Gettysburg, with 50,000+ casualties and 7,000+ dead in a relatively small area.

There's some quality hunting to be had on private property, however - but don't expect to get permission from property owners. I've heard of some charging admission to hunt fields near Gettysburg, paid up front, and regardless of what you find.

Greg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
That is correct and don't expect a warning. The penalties of even having a md on battlefield property are severe. Hunting must be done on private land.

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This news from another site:

The Evening Sun
Posted: 07/09/2012 10:46:16 PM EDT

Law enforcement personnel are investigating an incident of illegal relic hunting and digging that occurred in the area 149 years after Confederate and Union soldiers fought on the Gettysburg battlefield. (THE EVENING SUN - TIM PRUDENTE)

The ground near Spangler's Spring on the Gettysburg battlefield was seen torn and damaged Saturday.

Holes appeared to have been dug into the grass. Areas were taped off and signs were posted to keep out the public.

Law enforcement personnel are investigating an incident of illegal relic hunting and digging that occurred in the area 149 years after Confederate and Union soldiers fought there.

Staff at Gettysburg National Military Park reported the torn ground on Saturday and it's believed the incident took place sometime during the weekend, according to park spokeswoman Katie Lawhon.

"I think it comes down to violating the core mission and promise of Gettysburg National Military Park, which is that the resources will be here for future generations," she said.

Park staff was conducting interpretive programs when they discovered 23 holes dug into the ground. Such incidents occur about two or three times a year, Lawhon said, sometimes by those who are unaware their actions are illegal.

Archeologists are now investigating the holes for clues, and rangers are asking anyone with information to contact the park office.

Park officials have voiced concerns in the past of professional relic hunters in camouflage who make a business out of digging and selling artifacts with the use of expensive metal detectors.

The use of metal detectors on the battlefield, as well as digging or hunting for relics is a violation of federal law and those

found guilty can face harsh fines and penalties.

The Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 proposes fines and possible jail time to those who remove, vandalize or damage archaeological resources.

Under the law, costly fines can be imposed simply for digging, regardless of whether an artifact was recovered. The maximum penalty for a violation is a $100,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

Federal rules also provide for a $75 fine and other penalties just for possessing a metal detector in a national park, regardless of whether it has been used. The park works to deter relic hunters and launched in the 1990s the Park Watch Patrol, a troop of more than 100 volunteers who patrol the grounds. The battlefield is also monitored by rangers, some in plain clothes and others who are camouflaged and use specialized equipment to detect violators.

HOW TO HELP

Rangers at Gettysburg National Military Park are seeking information about an incident of relic hunting and digging in the area of Spangler's Spring. Those with information are asked to contact the park office at 717-334-0909.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gforce1972 asked:
> Any help or info on the keystone item would be appreciated.
> There is a round holder in the back, like it would fit in a bottom hole
huh.gif

Your "keystone item" is the insignia of Company A of the 9th Infantry Regiment of the Pennyslvania State Militia or PA National Guard. The form of the attachment on its back and the crossed rifles' form (bolt-action instead of a hammer) date it from 1905 to 1922. That dating info is based on the rifle type and attachment form used on US Army Infantry's insignia ONLY from 1905 to 1922. See Evolution of U.S. Army Infantry Insignia

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then what sort of "private property" do YOU guys hunt on? Just adjoining farms or homesteads? Do you just walk up to the front door and ask? ???

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Do you just walk up to the front door and ask?"
Some folks do that, but that's not me. I ask folks I know, or whom I might share a mutual friend, contact.

OP
OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I don't cold call people. I'm guessing you'd always get a no. I use existing relationships with people I know in the area.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
I've done both, checked with friends or through friends for permission as well as making very polite, sincere introductions to individuals who live or own land that I think might be promising as to who I am, where I live, and my interest in the history of this area (near the Resaca battlefield), and ask if they might be willing to consider to allow me to hunt on their property.

For a while I was batting 100% even with these "cold-knocks", but the last few years I've met more and more landowners who told me that while they really appreciated the fact that I was coming to them and asking for permission (as opposed to just brazenly or covertly coming onto their property without permission) they'd had too many experiences with hunters with bad or no manners at all and just didn't allow anyone to detect there any more.

So I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of getting permission from landowners you don't really know but be prepared for rejections, many times because of the behavior of those who were there before you and ruined the opportunity through disrespect and no sense of responsibility which accompanies such privileges.

OP
OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
To clarify, I was talking about Gettysburg area only. Other areas I've had good luck with cold calls.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds gforce :icon_thumright:

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
The maximum penalty for a violation is a $100,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

Federal rules also provide for a $75 fine and other penalties just for possessing a metal detector in a national park, regardless of whether it has been used. The park works to deter relic hunters and launched in the 1990s the Park Watch Patrol, a troop of more than 100 volunteers who patrol the grounds. The battlefield is also monitored by rangers, some in plain clothes and others who are camouflaged and use specialized equipment to detect violators.

HOW TO HELP

Rangers at Gettysburg National Military Park are seeking information about an incident of relic hunting and digging in the area of Spangler's Spring. Those with information are asked to contact the park office at 717-334-0909.

Just like Third Reich IMO. BTW Nice finds. Keep hunting there :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread