A token from the past

crustydisc

Mar 23, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although this is not a recent find, this is a neat little piece of history I wanted to share with the rest of you.
The obverse reads as follows: Ambassador Sportatorium amusement center/3205 W.8th Street/ambassador hotel grounds/ and "English Village"/Refreshments/Entertainment/Dancing.
The reverse reads as follows: This Token Good for One Courtesy Game of Shuffle Board/Shuffle ball-golf/Pocket Billiards/or 1$ towards table service in English Village.
A quick internet search will reveal that the Ambassador Hotel opened it's doors in 1921, and quickly became a local "hotspot" for many high profile celebrities, as well as a starting point for others. It is also remembered as the location where presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated.
The Ambassador Hotel is gone.
If it were not for people like us, this token, as well as a piece of our countrys history, would also be gone.

Attachments

• IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 359

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Crusty:
WELCOME TO TREASURE NET !!

Yes, the old Ambassador Hotel and its Coconut Grove (!!) were certainly on everyone's tour list for decades. Here's a site that revisits the many stars that frequented the place. I was there in the 60s and remember it well. Thanks.
http://www.seeing-stars.com/hotels/Ambassador.shtml
Don.....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey--welcome to TreasureNet! :thumbsup: Great token find there, and I think your username is Awesome.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread