1863 Civil War token ... little help please !
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Sep 2006
    Mishawaka Indiana
    Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
    5 times
    Banner Finds (1)

1863 Civil War token ... little help please !

So I went out to a grassy area along a sidewalk close to town where no one would mind me digging some holes. I found a lot of Lincoln Memorials right on the ground and then I found this weird one. It was getting kind of dark so just threw in my pocket and continued. When i got home I was surprised to see that it was a 1863 Civil War token. On one side it depicts a statue of Andrew Jackson on a horse and says "First in war, first in peace" and is dated 1863. The other side says "The union must and shall preserve" and then Jackson's name. This is my oldest find yet + its exactly 100 years older than me !! WOOOHOOO !! Can anyone tell me any info on this token ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1863 token3.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	21898

thanks for looking,

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1863 token3.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	302072  
    Best finds so far ... 10K & 14K gold ring, 1 troy ounce .999 pure silver, 1876 & (2) 1907 indian head, & a 1977 Kennedy half dollar, 1952 Franklin Half Dollar, 1943 & '43 Merc Dime

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12344 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: 1863 Civil War token ... little help please !

"First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen". These were the words from a eulogy for George Washington adopted by Congress immediately after Washington’s death. The eulogy was written by Henry Lee, a soldier and political leader from Washington’s home state of Virginia.

The word "Jackson" on the token's reverse need not necessarily refer to Andrew Jackson but could refer to any town, person, store, etc. with the same name.

Don.....

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    184 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

definetily a keeper !!
    very cool token !
    ALLEN

Aug 2006
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ivy_walls
    So I went out to a grassy area along a sidewalk close to town where no one would mind me digging some holes. I found a lot of Lincoln Memorials right on the ground and then I found this weird one. It was getting kind of dark so just threw in my pocket and continued. When i got home I was surprised to see that it was a 1863 Civil War token. On one side it depicts a statue of Andrew Jackson on a horse and says "First in war, first in peace" and is dated 1863. The other side says "The union must and shall preserve" and then Jackson's name. This is my oldest find yet + its exactly 100 years older than me !! WOOOHOOO !! Can anyone tell me any info on this token ?

thanks for looking,

Mark

Mark,

Looks like you found a Civil War Patriotic Token...Reverse die face is the picture of the "Horseman".

Reverse Die Face

Matches Die #1161 for Store Card Tokens, but only one use of this die in Indiana...from a store proprietor named Johnson, so this IS NOT a Store Card Token.

This design does however match Civil War Patriotic Token Dies #173 thru 177...most closely matching #177.

Obverse Die Face

Matches Civil War Patriotic Token die #400 & 404...most closely matching #400.

This Token is listed in the Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900...2nd Edition by Russel Rulau (1997)
    on page 424 left column

Store Card Patriotic Rarity Condition Value
    Die# Die # Rating VG VF EF UNC

1161 177 R3 7 15 20 45

Hope this helps some...keep looking!

Regards, Fred.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links