Sheffield, Iowa Token. Need Help.

mrhaz

Jul 26, 2007
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a friend's house today. It was built in 1906 & across the street from two grade schools that are no longer there, both of which were built in the early 1900's also. I went very slow & took my time, covering only 1/8 of the yard so far. I found about 30 pennies, with just one wheat, a 1952D, some clad, and a couple beat up metal toy cars (nothing special). No silver yet, but did find a token (which I thought was a penny until after a soak in warm, soapy water. With a little light cleaning with a soft bristle tooth brush I was able to read both sides of it. Face reads "Good For 1c In Trade.... Other side reads: "Frank's Groceteria & Clohins Store...Sheffield, Iowa. It appears to be brass, but not exactly sure. Sorry, no pic yet as my camera is at work. I can post a pic tomorrow if needed. Just looking for any info at all. Thanks!!!!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ferguson's IA Trade Tokens book shows that 25¢ and $1 denominations of this had been reported in 1984. There has been another IA book since then (I don't have it) and yet another is in the works. I would expect that this merchant had 1, 5, 10, 25, & 50¢, $1, and possibly higher denominations made. Typically stores like that bought produce from farmers and paid them in tokens or (at a discount) in cash. I don't have a date on this business, but the word "groceteria" makes me think of 1930-50. Do post focused, closeup photos of both sides if you can.

John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread