FOUR TOKENS IN ONE HOLE

kozyman2

May 18, 2009
Mercer County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
FOUR TOKENS IN ONE HOLE
by kozyman2 » Yesterday, 20:29

I started out this morning with my buddy Charlie hunting an older house here in town. Just about all clad, when I got a solid hit, I dug down about 5 inches and found a local token. Rescanned the hole and grabbed another one just like the first. Anyway I ended up with four identical tokens in one hole. Maybe left for the milk or ice man.
Around noon we met up with Goes4ever and headed out to an old 1800's farmhouse. I found a lot of trash, clad, and came across this big sleigh bell with a date on it of May 15 1878. Also dug a hair beret. No old coins for me or Charlie.

Thanks for looking
Denny

Attachments

• token.jpg
    token.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 600

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, Denny! Mose Rider was the proprietor of a restaurant on Main Street in Mendon in 1910. Earlier, in 1910, he was a blacksmith in Mendon. By 1920 he had moved to Auglaize County where he farmed. 1930 found him again as a blacksmith in Allen County. He died in 1942 in Allen County.

Lipscomb's Ohio Merchant Tokens book lists a 2½¢ denomination from this merchant. His business listing in 1910 as "restaurant" and tokens of these two denominations implies that he also had pool or card tables in his business, and the tokens may have been used as gambling chips in connection with these games. Finding four of them together leads to speculation as to why. One possibility was that after his business closed in Mendon and he moved on, the tokens were worthless and children played with them. Or, he may have buried his stock of tokens on hand and you are close to the "mother lode". It is fun to consider the possibilities!

John in ID

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just another great find....keep diggin.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If no Silver for the day Ill take a token and be happy with it. WTG

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I just like to dig up things from the past and think about how they came to be

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Nice finds, Denny! Mose Rider was the proprietor of a restaurant on Main Street in Mendon in 1910. Earlier, in 1910, he was a blacksmith in Mendon. By 1920 he had moved to Auglaize County where he farmed. 1930 found him again as a blacksmith in Allen County. He died in 1942 in Allen County.

Lipscomb's Ohio Merchant Tokens book lists a 2½¢ denomination from this merchant. His business listing in 1910 as "restaurant" and tokens of these two denominations implies that he also had pool or card tables in his business, and the tokens may have been used as gambling chips in connection with these games. Finding four of them together leads to speculation as to why. One possibility was that after his business closed in Mendon and he moved on, the tokens were worthless and children played with them. Or, he may have buried his stock of tokens on hand and you are close to the "mother lode". It is fun to consider the possibilities!

John in ID
:notworthy:,idahotokens just tell me what you DON'T know about tokens ha,It would make it easier for me ha ha,Very knowledgable :notworthy:,Thank's !!! :icon_thumright: :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread