another New Mexico trade token

Trashpicker

Greenie
Feb 20, 2008
NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS, Explorer II with X-1 Probe ,Minelab Eureka Gold
While I am on a roll, I thought I would share another New Mexico trade token I found in a ghost town in Southern NM. I have found a number of tokens but this one was after a club hunt and we were just milling around talking trash about each other and I got this solid signal, I dug it up and walla, there was a nice "Good for $5.00" token....what a find. I am always glad to get tokens...I am up to 28 token finds in the 6 years I have been metal detecting. I am sure 28 isnt a lot for some, but I am pretty happy with that and looking for the 29th
Thanks for looking and good luck hunting.
Trashpicker

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 394

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
now that one does look rare. if it is mining related you really ought to try ebay.
or not......

i don't know the new mexico tokens hardly any, but that $5 one is over the top!!!!

mike

the 1919 dunn bradstreet says tokay is 10 mi. from san antonio population 25 with one business a gen'l store. named kinney.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Go back to your first post.

That one was only given to the folks that made and spent money!

:notworthy:

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
duh, i thought your token was vinney. didn't relate to the possibility that it was kinney. there were initials in the dunn bradstreet B.H. Kinney. and says it was a gen'l store. but sometimes company stores were owned by the mines. was there mining at that town?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
There were denominations 1,4,10,25, 50, 1.00 & 5.00 issued by this store according to Billy Kiser's NM Trade Token Book #1 - at least this and the 10 denominations were in two varieties, probably because Kinney ran out and had to reorder. The miner's pick is the trademark of the Albert Pick Company of Chicago which produced tokens for a lot of businesses. Kiser dates these tokens 1922-30.

You might consider investing in both of Billy Kiser's NM books - they are very nicely done references.

John in ID

OP
OP
Trashpicker

Trashpicker

Greenie
Feb 20, 2008
NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS, Explorer II with X-1 Probe ,Minelab Eureka Gold
Thanks to all for the response. You are correct. it is a mining town, east of San Antonio, NM on a private ranch. I have visited with Billy Kiser a number of times and I own both of his NM token books. I actually traded Billy this token for his latest edition of his new token book and had him autograph it for me. We visited in Las Cruces NM where he lives and I was TDY working. He purchases any NM tokens found and I also sold him the San Pedro token as shown on my avitar. Although he is young, he is very knowledgeable about NM tokens and NM history in general and a real nice kid....at my age, everybody is a kid!! no offense Billy. Thanks for looking and good luck hunting.
Trashpicker

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
that's a great thing to do.
it's good that any collectible get in a collection.
more local the better.

keep hunting um up. you seem to be doing real well.

congratulations, best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions