Could the things I found on a battle field be worth anything?

M

Mario2870

I found what I believe is a slave tag with the #171 on it, some large cents, (looks like large pennies) And also a brass or bronze token from 1850 with Zachery Taylor on it. It tells all about him it is bent and looks like it is like that from a bullet. All were found basically near each other.

OP
OP
M

Mario2870

Right now we are in the process of trying to take pictures of them . But unfortunetely we dont know how. for some reason i cant get my digital camera to take the picture clearly. As soon as we figure out how to take the picture clearly then we will try to post them onto this post.

I do know one thing, the medal definely is gold.

OP
OP
M

Mario2870

sorry if it sounds confusing when i say brass or bronze and then i say it is gold. That is because we found 2.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Nope, no way, no how. I would definately pack them all up and send them straight to me.... ;D

Just kidding, of course! Nice finds and welcome to the forum. HH!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Heres the history lesson you all knew was coming........
The inaugurations of Martin Van Buren, John Tyler, James K. Polk and Zachary Taylor are represented by a curious series of four similar medals, all struck by the U.S. Mint. All used for the obverse, the medium size Indian peace medal die for the respective President. The reverses bore a wreath enclosing the date of each respective inauguration. These four medals, all struck by order of the Chief Coiner, Adam Eckfeldt, are extremely rare and their use has never been known. Perhaps they were ordered by Eckfeldt to be given as personal medals to the President and other VIPs. The absence of such a medal from William Henry Harrison, whose short-lived presidency fell between those of Van Buren and Tyler lends credence to this theory.

Anything with President Taylor usually goes for high dollars as he only served 16 months.

Taylor, Zachary (1784-1850) ? also known as "Old Rough and Ready" ? Born in Orange County, Va., November 24, 1784. Second cousin once removed of Richard Henry Lee; second cousin of James Madison; third cousin of Henry Lee, Charles Lee and Richard Bland Lee; married, June 21, 1810, to Margaret Mackall "Peggy" Smith; father-in-law of Jefferson Finis Davis; granduncle of Edmund Haynes Taylor, Jr.; third cousin twice removed of Fitzhugh Lee; first cousin thrice removed of Elliot Woolfolk Major; second cousin thrice removed of Edgar Bailey Woolfolk; ancestor of Victor D. Crist. Whig. Major in the U.S. Army during the War of 1812; colonel in the U.S. Army during the Black Hawk War; general in the U.S. Army during the Mexican War; President of the United States, 1849-50; died in office 1850. Episcopalian. Died, probably of gastroenteritis, in the White House, Washington, D.C., July 9, 1850. Original interment at Congressional Cemetery, Washington, D.C.; reinterment in private or family graveyard; reinterment in 1926 at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery, Louisville, Ky. Taylor counties in Fla., Ga., Iowa and Ky. are named for him

1849 - America goes without a President for one day. The expiration of James K. Polk's term occurred at 12pm, but Zachary Taylor was not sworn in until the next day. Although rejected by constitutional experts, some believe that David Rice Atchison, the President pro tempore of the United States Senate at the time, was the "acting president".

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
As far as the digital camera goes, there should be a ring on your camera lens for adjusting between closeup and far away. Mine shows a mountain and a flower as symbols. Mountain= far away, flower =close up.

I have found that when taking closeups, you should be no closer than 12 inches to the subject, or it comes out blurry. Also no further away than 2-3 feet. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
M

Mario2870

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I havent put the picture up but we will soon.

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
I ve been without a digital camera for some weeks now,but for buttons and coins my 49.00 lexmark x1185 printer /scanner does a pretty impressive job.I throw a dark towel over the top so all ambient room light is blocked.I, looking forward to seeing a picture of your finds.
Happy hunting,Monte

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread