TOKEN INFO?

Hawkeye

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2006
Iowa
I am new to the forum and thought I would start off asking for a little help. I found this token under an old clothes line. I don't have a book on tokens yet but I hope someone can tell me something more about it. On one side it has GOOD FOR 5 CENTS IN TRADE. On the other, S.M. MARSHALL MERCANTILE CO. QUENEMO KANS.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Attachments

• DSC00527.JPG
    DSC00527.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC00528.JPG
    DSC00528.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 287

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hawkeye--

Nice find! First, this token is not listed in the 1990 book, Kansas Trade Tokens by William Waken. That isn't immediately an indication of rarity, but it does usually indicate that the token is not common. This branch of numismatics is still young and the study of tokens is far from complete.

This token is no doubt part of a "set" with denominations ranging from 5? to $1.00 or perhaps more. Merchants bought "butter & eggs" from local farmers, paying them in tokens or a discounted amount of cash. Also, if the customers of the business needed a loan until the crops came in, money was advanced to them in the form of these tokens. The tokens could be used to purchase goods from the store, although (depending on the repution of the store) they might work at other businesses in the town. The barber needed to buy groceries, too!

There are three listed businesses that were known to have used tokens in this town. The date of this token is probably 1910-1920 as Samuel M. Marshall is listed in the 1910 & 1920 Censuses as "merchant - general merchandise". He was born about 1860 in PA.

John in ID

OP
OP
Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2006
Iowa
John,

Thanks so much for all the great information!! It amazes me to think that a Kansas trade token can be found under a clothes line in Iowa.

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like tokens beter than old coins myself.. I wanted to say, not a bad picture of it.. A lot of people post some really bad pics which makes it real hard to ID it.. Great find !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread