Unlisted Token - Saint Paul MN

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a trade token (my first ever) and was trying to look up some information on it's background - but was not successful. Sent the photos to some local MN token experts but they hadn't seen this one before.

I started to do some sleuthing on my own. First I looked up the street address - but this street no longer exists - as they had changed the name to Kellogg after 1920 or so. (Helps date the token though!) Next I ran the name "C.E. Banker through some search engines - again with very little luck. I did manage to find a person listed as serving with the 13th MN Volunteers in the Spanish-american war. This person did come home and was discharged and continued to live in Saint Paul. Two Census listings has him as a "Clerk". Another search of a private database of the MN Historical Society has a person by this name working as a patrol officer in the Saint Paul Police Department - and I even found a photo. The "4" on his helmet matches the duty roster from 1895 - as a patrolman with the name of "Chas. E. Banker", shield #4". Perhaps this person could have worked both as a clerk AND with the police?

I intend to go down to the main branch of the ST. Paul public library and search through the business directories to see if I can find a listing for "C.E. Banker". The library has an archive of directories going back to the 1840's.

Anyone have any other hints or advice on how to dredge up some information on this token? ???

Still, I have been having a great time looking up all this history and finding a photo that may be the person was a huge bonus to me. It's like looking back in time and seeing the person who may have been holding this very same token in his hand at one time. Love this hobby!! :)

Attachments

• C E Banker token Side A.jpg
    C E Banker token Side A.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 197
  • C E Banker token Side B.jpg
    C E Banker token Side B.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 184
  • C E Banker token Side A.jpg
    C E Banker token Side A.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 187
  • C E Banker token Side B.jpg
    C E Banker token Side B.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 184
  • pf063147.jpg
    pf063147.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 189

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Black--you are on the right track! Heading for the directory section of the library is a good first step. You can narrow the search by quite a bit from what you know already. And, if the token is aluminum like it appears, rather than brass, it dates after 1893 (when the process to obtain aluminum from its ore was greatly simplified and aluminum became practical for making things like tokens). The diework on this one indicates that it should be even a bit newer, say after 1900.

You could also look up the obituaries for the two people named Charles E. Banker listed in the Minnesota Death Index - one died 14 Jan 1928 (probably the one you pictured) and another 2 Mar 1950.

I just looked at the St. Paul Censuses and see that in 1910 Charles Banker was enumerated at 36 Central Avenue (that was where he was living which could well have been where his business was) as a "Retail Merchant - Liquors". His wife is shown as Mary, so this points you toward which of the Charles Bankers you are dealing with.

John in ID

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens- (Sorry it took me so long to reply) Thank you so much for the excellent advice! Much appreciated!! :notworthy:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Hi - you've done some great research!

Footnote.com has a lot of St Paul City Directories online. I searched for you and I found this listed in 1914 (in 1910 he still has a saloon but the address is different)-

2dgkju9.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions