Charleston S.C.

Attachments

• index (2).jpg
    index (2).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 308

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Good one! In addition to being an advertising token, it has also been listed as a magician's token: used to perform tricks, tossed into the audience as souvenirs, etc. Here's a page with some other interesting Green River whiskey items and info:

http://www.greenriverwhiskey.com/

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TRK5CAPT. cool find and hh.......PBK, thanks for the info, i have the 1907 watch fob. found on an old farm in halfmoon bay ca.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always thought that the Green River Whiskey piece was a bottle hanger - the manufacturer hung the token on a string or wire around the neck of the whiskey bottle. Since things like this are seldom thrown away, they figured it would be carried around as a pocket piece. The company would get advertisement value out of the piece for years. There is a Willow Calf Shoe piece that was used similarly, only it was tied to the laces of a new pair of shoes.

Others have theorized that the Green River piece was given out by the whiskey distributor and was good for a shot of the stuff at a bar that carried it. Another advertising scheme, but since most (if not all) are holed, I think the bottle hanger theory is better.

John in ID

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Nice looking token, Congrats!
The bullets are niice too..
Good luck, & Happy huntingg~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread