• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    542.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 282

groundsmn

Sep 9, 2010
The token does not have saloon on it. Therefore in most collectors minds it is not considered a saloon token. More or less just an old Ohio token.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Lipscomb's OH book indeed shows H. Flynn in Woodsfield as "saloon 1904" but the author did not quote a source for his information. It probably was a Dun or Bradstreet business directory. Neither the 1900 nor 1910 Censuses shows him, so I would imagine that he was in that town for a fairly short time. Finding any more information on him and his business is probably going to take some effort at a local library or historical society, since the necessary resources don't seem to be on line (yet).
John in the Great 208

7creeks

Oct 14, 2009
Dark Hills of Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a scan of a scan of a clip from a county newspaper showing the Flynn Saloon. One of these days I will scan the original. This is from 1906 and states that his business[FONT=tahoma,sans-serif][/FONT] started in 1902. Not sure why he is not showing up in the Censuses. Flynn families still live in the area. I will have to look in my original copies of the Censuses I have.

Attachments

• HFlynn.jpg
    HFlynn.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 173

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice reference, 7

I looked again at the Censuses using the name Hugh, but still can't find him. Of course, a lot of these Pre-Prohibition saloon operators, and probably even more of them during Prohibition, wanted little to do with the Feds under any circumstances...

John in the Great 28

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a sweet tok !! wish it had actually said "Saloon" for ya , If I found it I would still be happy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread