Greenie
Apr 3, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ID please - Moore's Studio Altus Oklahoma

Found this in Lewisville Texas today. I see it's listed here but not much info is given. Looking for date and value would be nice. Thanks!

ONE ON A CASH PURCHASE / OF / $10.00 / OR OVER / MOORE'S / STUDIO / BETTER / PHOTOGRAPH'S / ALTUS (TC-52735) Altus, Oklahoma (Jackson County), U.S.A.

mooretoken1.jpg
mooretoken2.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Chadwick's Oklahoma Exonumia Book shows it as $75 value. James Pitt Moore (1876-1952) was the owner of the photography studio. He was enumerated in the Altus Censuses from 1910-1940. I imagine the token dates around 1910 or a bit later.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
J

jeremyelkins

Greenie
Apr 3, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much! $75 is way more than I would have guessed. If anyone wants to buy it, I will make you a deal.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the market for tokens and such has not developed to the same point that the coin market has - limited supply & demand - I recommend taking "book values" of tokens with a big grain of salt Plus, the folks writing token catalogs cannot possibly know about every token from the subject area of the book, so their rarity is based on educated guesses. Sometimes there have been efforts to inflate the market to increase the perceived value of their own collections...

So, the best way to find the true value is to get interested collectors bidding for an item. Or to find where an identical piece has recently sold. The trouble with tokens is that some come on the market rarely, if ever.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
J

jeremyelkins

Greenie
Apr 3, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I figured as much. I can't find much on it so I assume it's fairly rare but I know that doesn't always mean desired. I wouldn't imagine very many people can't live without a photography token from Altus, OK. Anyway, if it's worth more than melt value of a silver half dollar, I am very happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread