Rusted metal ring??

fadetoblack

Apr 1, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it today near an old school. It had a diameter of about 1 inch and looks like a round rod was formed into a circle and maybe welded. Any idea what this is? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366154553.776045.jpg next to a penny for comparison.
Thanks
J

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a part of a horse harness. Sometimes they ring up nicely as the computer (at least on my T2)also takes its coin roundness into account and up averages it. Horse tack is a sign that old coins are lurking about :-)

OP
OP
fadetoblack

fadetoblack

Apr 1, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Thanks for the info. I only found modern coins there. My detector is a bounty hunter tracker iv so I'm not sure it's taking into account roundness. Not sure how it works exactly but I put it on tone discriminate and set the knob to about the 1 o'clock position. Seems to find all newer coins fine. I'm new to this and have been out 5 times so far. Still getting used to it. Maybe I should go back and try again?

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure, get back there. You'll have to try an older site if you want older coins. And...as you get better you'll be able to dig the deeper coin signals and disregard the shallow stuff.

OP
OP
fadetoblack

fadetoblack

Apr 1, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've been trying to figure out how it works. Pretty basic unit. Not sure how the needle works. Seems to always either go all the way up or nothing at all. Guess ill have to pay attention to it more. I also wonder why it goes from 10 to 1.
Thanks for the encouragement!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread