Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the photos being so large, I had problems putting 2 images on 1 post, and forget to make them smaller.
Is there an easier way to put pics on the threads besides using photobucket?

Roy

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger - I just have the cropped pics on my computer and upload them from there - browse to find 'em. I had to struggle a bit to decipher what this token says:

DELATTE & FALGOUST / VACHERIE, / LA.

Crawford & Farber's LA Token book shows only a 19mm denomination, Good For / 5¢ / In Merchandise. Is that what yours is? They say "This was a grocery and saloon from 1906 to 1916".

You are correct in that many plantation tokens were used in a similar manner to mining and lumber camp tokens - workers were loaned money (in the form of tokens) against their pay so they could buy from the company store.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger - I just have the cropped pics on my computer and upload them from there - browse to find 'em. I had to struggle a bit to decipher what this token says:

DELATTE & FALGOUST / VACHERIE, / LA.

Crawford & Farber's LA Token book shows only a 19mm denomination, Good For / 5¢ / In Merchandise. Is that what yours is? They say "This was a grocery and saloon from 1906 to 1916".

John in the Great 208
At the bottom right of each pic it gives the info on the coin. This one says "Good for $1.00 in Merchandise"

Thanks for posting.
As a kid in the late 1940s' I recalled something similar to a store next to where I grew up.
The plantation workers would go to work everyday and get "paid" on saturday (if there was any money left). They bought their clothing and groceries from the plantation store and Saturday evened up.
Some of them did however, pool the left over wages and bought a bus ticket out of this condition to on to a better opportunity in life. The left over wages were usually in form of "credits" or small amounts of cash.

Roy

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Roy--How about posting pics of both sides of this on TokenCatalog.com ? Try the macro setting on your camera and vary the lighting (I use an old tensor type desk lamp that I can hold and move around to the sides) to get good closeups. Or, I can post them if you send me the pics.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll take some better pics. Those were with my Iphone5.
I'll put some light on the token, and shoot it RAW, with my 100mm macro.
I have some tokens I found around Kingdom City, Missouri a few years ago. I guess I should post them also.

Thanks

Roy

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely! That is very helpful to the token-collecting community.
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread