lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Brooke has a Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these tokens at a 1800's house in Liberty Mo. I cannot ID either of them. I found 8 of the M. Bright tokens all in one place underneath a tree. The other token I have no idea what it is because it is so corroded and I cannot get it cleaned up any better than it is.

Any help identifying either of these tokens would be apprciated.

LL SAM_1435.JPG SAM_1436.JPG DSCN0222.JPG DSCN0223.JPG

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The fact that you found so many of the M. Bright tokens in one spot is a good clue that they were from around Liberty, but so far I can't find anyone with that name in a token-using business. I am not where my MO book is, though, so can't tell whether that will help. I'll re-post when I can check it.

The aluminum one is from a business college and was given out to prospective students as a rebate on tuition. There are quite a few different ones from business colleges around the country shown on TokenCatalog.com, but not this one. If we could just make out the name of the college - it starts with BE, and the street address is just below the word College - that would surely help. Another, maybe better clue, are the word fragments at about 4:30. Please put a magnifying glass on it and see if you can make out CITY, MO. I almost have myself convinced that is what I see, and would therefore look pretty hard at Kansas City.

These privately-operated business colleges were popular in the 1915-30 timeframe, long before accreditation was even thought of. A lot of people were able to get specialized schooling to enable them to get office jobs via this route. Many times a person could not attend high school, but was able to learn typing, bookkeeping, shorthand, and other skills at the local business college. Many such colleges offered evening classes to students.

John in the Great 208

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe this one:
Brown's Business CollegeKansas CityMissouri1893proprietaryfounded by Pierre Soule Brown; 7 teachers and 550 students in 1900; 1114 Grand Ave.Encyclopedia of Missouri History, vol. I. 1901. p. 406.
Patterson's College and School Directory, 1905, 1914, and 1917.
Don.........

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like Don nailed it :thumbsup: - I can make out BR in the name (with traces of the W and the N') - rather than BE like I first thought. Plus the KCMO city directories show Pierre Brown having his business college at 1114 Grand through 1911, so that matches the date range for an aluminum token.
John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got home and see that the Brown's Business College token is listed in Smith's MO token index (no further details there, tho...). The M. Bright ones are not, however, so the search goes on.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
lliebsch

lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help guys. When I put a magnifying glass on it it looks like Kansas City but not 100% sure.

OP
OP
lliebsch

lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also to let everyone know the M Bright ones were found right next to the railroad tracks if that helps.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
ll -- With the Bright name being relatively common, and just an initial for the first name, the M. BRIGHT token is going to be tough. How about posting the pictures of it on TokenCatalog.com to get a lot more eyeballs looking at it? With your permission I can post it if you don't want to. I do think the ornamentation above and below the name may be helpful in narrowing down the places to look. Other tokens possibly have these same "dingbats" and they may be recognized by someone.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
lliebsch

lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you can post it. Thank.u for all your help.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! The Bright token is TC-363902 on TokenCatalog.com - if you can measure it "across the flats" in millimeters, I can add that bit of info.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
lliebsch

lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK thank you. I will measure it when I get home from work in the morning.

OP
OP
lliebsch

lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I have been super busy this last week. It is 26MM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread