5 cents in trade

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Hi folks...it's been a while since I've been on the forum but I'm still detecting! Found an interesting token a couple weeks ago in Visalia, CA, and I haven't been able to find any info on it and was wondering if anyone might know anything about it. I tried to google it and even looked on a token website that had thousands of different tokens listed but this one was not there.

Ray

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! The 1910, 12, & 14 Visalia City Directories show L. C. Bevins as having a confectionery at 102 W. Main. This is in the classified business sections. In the alphabetical section he is shown as L. Clinton Bevins. His residence during those years was at 703 N. Floral. His 1918 WWI Draft registration form shows his name as LeGrande Clinton Bevins, born 28 May 1883, and with occupation of salesman in a billiard parlor on Main St. in Porterville. The 1920 Census shows him as Clinton Bevins and the 1930 Census shows him as Lee C. Bevins (he is shown as a farmer in both).

At his death 16 Aug 1951, the State of California recorded that his name was LeGrand Clinton Bevins and he was born 29 May 1883 in Missouri.

Your token is not listed in Kappen's CA book or (as you have seen) on TokenCatalog.com but for the good of the hobby, would you be willing to post (or have me do it) your pictures there?

A new listing is "rare" by definition - the first ONE known. But please don't confuse that with value which is based on the law of supply and demand. In this case the supply is low (one) but the demand may not be terribly high.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Wow! That's some impressive research. Thank you so much for sharing the history behind this token. Yes, please go ahead and post this token with pictures on the token catalog website. Thanks again!

Ray

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Ray - it is now on tokencatalog.com as TC-383062
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread