Can you id this token?

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this cool token in a park, it was about 3 inches deep and rang in on the AT pro at 72 solid. Any info on this token would be
appreciated.

token.JPG

token 1.JPG

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Rare is a relative term - compared to U. S. coins this is rare, but as far as tokens go, they are pretty common. My theory is that the number relates to a route operator of slot machines, but that theory may not hold water since they are found all over the continent. My guess is that this is from the 1920s or so.
John in the Great 208

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Holed tokens of this type, with the "bowtie" ornament, were used in slot machines between WWI and WWII. Most carried some sort of wording-- IN TRADE, IN MDSE., AMUSEMENT ONLY, etc.— intended to get around local gambling laws forbidding winners from redeeming tokens for cash. (Yeah, right!) Usually, the number stamped on the token is the serial number of the machine in which it was used; however, in some cases it may have identified the location or owner. (Per PBK--from 'back in the day' on TNet: (comment 13 here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/19630-old-token-wheat-50-400-a.html)
Don....

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for responding, Mackaydon and idahotokens. I was curious as to how old it was, and what it was used for. I still can't believe this was only about 3 inches deep, and the location was strange also. I dug it about a foot from black top. I thought it was a brass washer at first and almost chucked it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread