S.S. Rex Bingo Token

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this token in a lot I purchased at an auction. Does anyone on here have any idea of rarity/value? Before I emailed the site owner of Tokencatalog.com they didn't even have the token listed. I am deciding wether or not to send it in for authentication.
image.jpeg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was a vessel named the S.S. Rex (steamship) that plied the waters off the California coast in the 1930s.
It was a famous (or infamous) gambling ship. Guests would board then sail to outside the limits of authority--then party and gamble till the ship returned to port.
Perhaps this was a token from that vessel. A lot of history in that token if that be the case.
Don...

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. A lot of history in that token if that be the case.

I agree! I know it's a long shot to think anyone on here would have good knowledge of the token itself, but here's to hopin'!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A history of the S.S. Rex can be found here:
Tony Cornero And The S.S. Rex - Los Angeles Magazine
Part of that history includes a reference to the bingo game on the vessel.
"Southern Californians have always had a special fondness for the sea, but Tony Cornero provided a new attraction – money. He offered his customers roulette, faro, blackjack, stud-poker, high-spade, craps, chuck-a-luck and a Chinese lottery. He installed 150 slot-machines, a commodious horse parlor,and a bingo layout seating 400. "
Don..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread