Found token- Emory Mercantile, Emory Tex./ Good for 5c merchandise

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this metal detecting yesterday. Its not often you find a token for your hometown when you live in such a small town like I do. The only reference I could find to the Emory Mercantile was ads from the early Rain county newspaper from 1909-1915. I had never known of any types of token for my town before finding this one and I don't find any like this in any searching online. Looks like someone may have made it into a ring or a button or something. Or is it possible the holes were punched when it was redeemed or something?

Emory Mercantile, Emory Tex.

Good for 5c merchandise

Attachments

• 9-9-16 dunbar churchh.JPG
    9-9-16 dunbar churchh.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 91
  • 9-9-16 dunbar churchi.JPG
    9-9-16 dunbar churchi.JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 68

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! There are two tokens listed on tokencatalog.com from Emory - but not this one. Please post your pics there, or with permission I can do it. More than likely, this is just one denomination of a 5¢ through $1 set used by this business, so more might be out there! Sometimes tokens are cancelled or otherwise punched/holed/counterstamped, usually to signify a change in ownership of the business, but this looks like somebody was messing around with it. Since tokens were designed to be used multiple times, they were hardly ever marked every time they were redeemed.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! Please feel free to share the photo at token catalog.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot]The Rains County LEader
April 23, 1909
The Emory Mercantile Company will open for business next week on the east side of the square with a $20,000.00 stock of goods. The stockholders in the company are Messrs. M.L. Allen, B.M. McMahan, Mrs. E.B. Adams and Mrs. Willett, and will be incorporated. The business will be under the management of Mr. Allen, who is one of our leading business men.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txrains/business.htm
Don......
[/FONT]

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: