• unknown coin-token reverse.JPG
    unknown coin-token reverse.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 385

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, first off, these are tokens, not coins. Coins are issued by a governmental entity and serve as legal tender in the area of origin. Tokens are not legal tender, and usually are issued by private individuals, companies, organizations, etc.

My guess is that these tokens are from the New York Power Authority Visitor Center ("Energy Center") east of Oswego, NY. There they have a demonstration machine with an electrical generator hooked to a bicycle. Probably the deal is that if a person runs the bike up to the point where the meter hits 100 watts, one of these token pops out as a reward. I don't know whether it would just be a souvenir or if it might be redeemable at the gift shop, but next time you are in the area, stop by and find out then give us a report.

The HH at the bottom is the "mintmark" of the Hoffman Mint www.hoffmanmint.com

John in ID

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Thanks Idaho, I'm not far from oswego and I might drive there and check things out,I figured it was a token of some kind,everytime i did a search on the net I was only comming up with ways to create power(electricity) by using a bike.So that explains everything,I'll make an update after i venture to the oswego power auth.

thanks for the link and being so knowledgable

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread