How to unbend a token?

zul32

Nov 22, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if I should even do this, but please - I could use any recommendations or suggestions you may have. I have a what I believe is a aluminum token.
This is my first token 'find'! :D

Anyway, it says "Utah Centennial Havana Club 1847-1947" and on the back it says "good for 10c in Trade". So, I'm guessing that the token was produced either late in 1946, or early 1947?

Unfortunately, this coin is so bent, it's almost completely "U" shaped and I'd like to straighten it out, but don't want to do it any damage. I do have a rubber mallet at home, and my workbench is made of hard wood if that helps?

Thanks
I'll try to see if I have a picture of it.

OP
OP
zul32

zul32

Nov 22, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, here's the picture....
UTCoinsm.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert in metal bending but I wouldn't try to straighten it. This was obvious bent long ago and has since undergone oxidation. It is very possible that the metal has become brittle during this time and attempts at straightening could cause it to break.

It may require careful application of heat and very slow, continual pressure to make it flat again (if possible)

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it gonna break--or at least major metal fatigue with stress cracks. with brass you would have far better chance. try a tapered dowel inside the curve with EXTREME light impacts on the dowel to spread the curve open----stop if you see crow foot cracking

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my honest answer.

I would use 2 Pair of Pliers.
with Heavy Cloth, or Plastic or Cardboard , Or other (which ever I could Scare up First)
between the Pliers & the Token
and slowly open it ,taking lots of breaks for the metal and me to relax. until I got it open enough to place it between 2 boards
and crush it flat.

all the while hoping it doesn't break.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a vice with 2 pieces of wood. You might need to do what Jeff recommend. You can use electrical tape to wrap arounf the pliers so that they do not scar the token and bend it out a little, then use the vice with 2 pieces of wood.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This all demonstrates one of the facts about collecting tokens - at least as compared to coins. With coins, if you want a particular one, you can usually go down to the local coin store and buy one. With tokens, you might have to take what you can get, because a "good" example may not turn up for a long time, if ever. Some tokens are readily available, but even then, they would probably not be stocked at the local coin shop. This does not mean that all tokens are valuable. Some certainly are, but many are very affordable. The laws of supply and demand apply.
John in the Great 208

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Chuck-E-Cheese token on one of my first trips out... Ahh memories...

That place was amazing as a kid, and hell as an adult...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread