Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just dug this today. Within a 10 mile radius of Fort Snelling in Minnesota. Token Catalog has one similar one that actually states Fort Snelling on it. That one is bronze. If anybody can give me any more information about my aluminum one, I'd love to hear it.

View attachment Still002.bmp View attachment Still003.bmp

I've already added mine to Token Catalog:

https://tokencatalog.com/token_reco...363&inventory_id=644876&attribution_id=580156

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
130+ views, no comments. That's disappointing. I was hoping that someone might be able to add to my information about this token. FYI, Fort Snelling, where I hope/believe this came from, was the start of the Minneapolis/St Paul area. For Minnesota, it is a very historic site. I'd sure like to be able to date this token.

I'm guessing early 20th century, by the way.

Last edited:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very interesting tokin. Sorry I can't help on I.d. This is my first time visiting the token portion of the forum, reason for my late input. It is disappointing no one has responded.

Anyway I don't know if you get Western and Eastern Treasure magazine but the "ask Mark" collum is excellent at identifying detected items and he has many and apparently wide ranging sources.

Sorry I'm terribly inept at transferring links. The magazine went from paper to digital earlier this year much to the dislike of many subscribers, me being one and will not renew after my December issue runs out.
It is otherwise an excellent metal detecting magazine, so if you can Google the link and subscribe or you know someone who does than send photos and description of your token to Mark at the magazine. Sorry but best I can help.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very interesting tokin. Sorry I can't help on I.d. This is my first time visiting the token portion of the forum, reason for my late input. It is disappointing no one has responded.

Anyway I don't know if you get Western and Eastern Treasure magazine but the "ask Mark" collum is excellent at identifying detected items and he has many and apparently wide ranging sources.

Sorry I'm terribly inept at transferring links. The magazine went from paper to digital earlier this year much to the dislike of many subscribers, me being one and will not renew after my December issue runs out.
It is otherwise an excellent metal detecting magazine, so if you can Google the link and subscribe or you know someone who does than send photos and description of your token to Mark at the magazine. Sorry but best I can help.

Thanks for the reply. This forum has often been incredibly helpful at identifying unknown items, especially in the What Is It? section. I must agree though that I expected a bit more interest in this token than it received.

I have been able to learn, though, that the 21st Infantry, during the period that an aluminum token would have been likely, was in the Philippine Islands or Hawaii. Not Fort Snelling.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 21st Infantry was at Fort Snelling from September 1902 through October 1904. Updated info and references are on the TokenCatalog site - https://tokencatalog.com/token_reco...363&inventory_id=644876&attribution_id=580217.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for that. I did see an update notification on my token catalog entry, but was busy at the time (metal detecting) and forgot to look into it.

It did get the Token of the Month award at my metal detecting club even without that info, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread