• 2 (7).jpg
    2 (7).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 251

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
"Maverick" tokens, those with just a name and no town or state, are very difficult to attribute, especially when the name is as common as the one on this one. It is not listed in any of my maverick token databases, and it is not in Wood's AL book (I made an assumption that you may have gotten it in AL and it didn't travel too far from home).
John in ID

OP
OP
ALABEAR

ALABEAR

Mar 20, 2005
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
I found this one in Tennessee. I live in Northeast Alabama so it could be from AL. TN. or GA. but I guess with out a town or state name who knows where it is from. I have a box full of tokens I have found over the years. I will post some of them from time to time to see if anyone can tell me anything about them. Thanks

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a G.E. Williams, Furniture store in Lexington, Tenn., don't know how long it's been in existence might be worth researching.

CurbdiggerCarl

OP
OP
ALABEAR

ALABEAR

Mar 20, 2005
Bridgeport, Alabama
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
I just called G.E. Williams Furniture in Lexington, Tn. and they told me they have been in there for over 30 years. Do you think that the token could come from there?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Typically this sort of token is from a cigar store or pool hall circa 1910-1930 - chances are slim to none that it would be a furniture business. Could have been a saloon, depending on the prohibition laws in effect in the town, card room, confectionery shop, or several other types of businesses. The problem with finding ol' G. E. is that most, if not all, of the genealogy indexes (Heritage Quest - available at many libraries, Ancestry.com - a subscription service, and Rootsweb.com - a free service but without many of the aids you would need, like census images) go by first name and initial, and seldom allow searches for just an initial. Of course, if you had infinite patience, you could go to the list of boy names starting with G. and plug them all into a search engine one at a time. If you were going to do that, start with the three states closeby and work out from there. Good luck!
John in ID

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tokens basic time frame of heavy useage was 1900 to 1940 after 1940 things cooled of greatly as far as overall token issue and usage --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread