My Monster ScoopZilla

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Here is my Monster ScoopZilla that I built. Handle 6 feet. basket stainless steel. basket dimensions H 8in. W 9 1/2in. L 14in. Weight lol a ton 17.5 pounds. The handle is aluminum thick walled, with a large rake handle pounded into the aluminum to add strength. The basket was cut by hand and had a friend do the welding. The aluminum bottom basket piece was from Lowe's it was originally for cooking fish on the grill. It fit perfectly. The scoop prototype with me standing next to it I am 6"1'. I have used this scoop for the past 4 years now, the most important lesson is that once you stomp on the basket you keep moving the handle to keep the sand from dynamically locking it into the beach matrix. The great thing about this scoop 95% of the time the target comes out on the first scoop. Yes that is PVC that is used for a second handle, it makes it easier to pull behind you in the water. The large S aluminum piece is also helpful in recovery and hefting the scoop off the bottom. As the sand and shell matrix in the basket probably exceeds 35 pounds. I hunt the beaches of Tampa Bay

Attachments

• scoop1 proto.jpg
    scoop1 proto.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 969
  • scoop1 mod2b.jpg
    scoop1 mod2b.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 950
  • scoop1mod2a.jpg
    scoop1mod2a.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 947
  • scoop1mod2d.jpg
    scoop1mod2d.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 942
  • scoop1mod2c.jpg
    scoop1mod2c.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 956
  • scoop1mod2e.jpg
    scoop1mod2e.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 962
  • scoop1mod2 comp.jpg
    scoop1mod2 comp.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 937
S

seger98

Wow, that is quiet the steam shovel! :D When I'm at the beach I sure do like scooping it up in the first try!

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY *%$# !! now thats a scoop. you could fit about 3 bricks of gold in that thing. great job.
size does matter :thumbsup:

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
HOLY CRAP!!!!

As impressive as that looks Im afraid I seriously would not want to be dragging that thing around the beach for hours on end. Ill stick to my little sand scoop and just take a few more scoops of sand to recover my pop tops...!!!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paint it bright orange you might lose it :icon_jokercolor:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wow. That is some contraption. What ever works for you. Nice job on it.

You people are too funny.... ( hook a toilet to it........ paint it orange, you might lose it...... :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ray S

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is one awesome scoop. Hope it is full of gold when you pick it up...Is that a magnet that zip tied to the bottom???.

OP
OP
kc10bull

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
RON (PA) said:
That is one awesome scoop. Hope it is full of gold when you pick it up...Is that a magnet that zip tied to the bottom???.

Yes it's actually an old large computer hard drive magnet completly sealed in apoxy to keep it from deteroating from use in the gulf salt water and sand. it takes care of all those pesky bobby pins and other iron objects :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions