Developing my own digging tool.. Tell me what you think..

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800 & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there's several great digging tools already availible like the Lesche, Predator, etc.. and I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here, but none of them are perfect for me, so I'm working on my own design.

A few issues I have with some of the top digging tools are:

1) Carry method.. Most of the really good tools come with a sheath.. The problem with that (for me) is that after you dig a hole, your digger will have dirt/mud on it.. and when you try to re-insert it in the sheath it will fill up with dirt aswell. I usually end up getting discouraged with trying to get the muddy thing in the sheath and end up putting it in my pocket.. Then at the end of the day I have a pocket full of dirt. My solution to that problem was to incorporate a belt clip which doubles as a finger guard right on the digging tool.

cobra1wbg.jpg

cobraonbelt.jpg

2) Handle comfort.. in my opinion, any digging tool that costs $40+ should come standard with a comfortable handle. I used the slip over foam grip on mine and it feels really soft and comfortable. And since the end of the tube handle is left open, I found a cool little cork type cap which turns the handle into a great place to store a small tooth brush for field cleaning, or whatever else.

cobraendwbg.jpg

cobraendcapwbg.jpg

3) Blade length.. Most of the ones I've tried have blade lengths between 6 and 7.5 inches.. I wanted a little more so I made it with an 8.5" blade (around 14" overall). I made the hand guard just big enough to cover the front of your hand in order to make up for the extra weight of the slightly longer blade.

cobrahand.jpg

The front of it kinda looks like a Cobra.. I think thats what I'll call it. ;D

cobrafrontview-logo.jpg

cobra2wbg.jpg

It won't be anytime soon, but after I locate some materials and get a few more of these built I may send a couple out to members here for review.

What do you think?

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Looks great...I agree with the dirt issues but I do worry about carrying a large blade in public..but then again in some parts of town its good protection!..Put me on the prototype list.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still new to most of the tools so to speak I've only been into the hobby since May, one of the problems I find is I'm not a petite boy an tend to mangle things when not being careful or not paying attention .I love the looks of your digger for us bigger guys that need something very sturdy an solid , between my big gorilla paws an hard ground here that looks like it would make an ideal tool an I definitely like the belt clip idea , The red head screams at me cause I've allways got pockets fulla sand or dirt .I'd luv to be on your tester list when your ready .

HH Tank :icon_thumright:

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
May be a good size for a relic hunter but looks a little too large for most coin shooters (maybe the larger market for such a tool). I always use a leather nail apron / pouch for my detecting hand tools and just put the digger in the large pocket.
The belt clip / guard looks like may interfer with the ground as you dig out the hole / plug?
Maybe you want to add 1/8" to 1/4" thick foam or rubber on the plate around the handle / grip so you don't get blisters on your fingers on those difficult to dig hole or while sawing / cutting a root.

If you are looking for a tester, I'm ready.
Jeff

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments and suggestions fellas. Since you three were the first to reply, you can be my testers when I get the ball rollin'. That should be enough for now.

Jeff,
Thats a good point about it being a bit on the large (long) side for coinshooting. I may have two models with one being a little shorter.

BTW, the digging tool isn't nearly as big as it appears to be in the picture hanging on a belt. Its a little misleading. You see, the guy (a co-worker) that I got to model it for me in that picture is only about 5'2" tall.. So he makes it appear to be much larger than it really is.

As for the handle interfering with the hole/plug, I've used it a few times already and that hasn't been a problem for me but the jury is still out. Thats what I need you guys (the testers) for. ;D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That clip's an ingenious idea! I usually have to wipe all the mud/dirt/sand off on my pants when I use mine, just for that exact reason. I've cleaned my sheath out once, but it was pretty tough to get dried up mud out. I like that you can store stuff in the handle too!
Sweet digger... :thumbsup:

Bran <><

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of the hand guard/clip. Make it HEAVIER and Thicker it could be used as leverage

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NWGA-RelicHunter thank you for choosing me as one of your testers , I'd be more than happy to test it out for you .

Thanks again Tank :icon_thumleft:

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
That is a beautiful looking digger you got there! What kind of metal you using? Is that parkerized? I really like the belt clip idea, although I usually end up just carrying my digger and screwdriver probe in my left hand and swing the detector with my right.

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
NWGA-RelicHunter thank you for choosing me as one of your testers , I'd be more than happy to test it out for you .

Thanks again Tank :icon_thumleft:

No problem.. Thank you for testing. Like I said though, it'll be a while before I have them ready. Right now I'm still working on locating materials and building jigs. I'll send all three of you guys a private message when I have them ready.

mxtman2 said:
That is a beautiful looking digger you got there! What kind of metal you using? Is that parkerized? I really like the belt clip idea, although I usually end up just carrying my digger and screwdriver probe in my left hand and swing the detector with my right.

Thank you very much. This prototype is just plain old 11 ga mild steel painted flat black. The final product will most likely be made from hardened and tempered high carbon steel so that it'll be strong and hold an edge.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your idea and design is great. Our soils out here are very compacted. Tank is the perfect guy to test it for ya .

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
i would be interested in trying one out, i have the same bomplaints in diggers, i end up carrying mine due to a lack of anywhere to keep it. i like the beltclip idea. strength and durability are other concerns. I have boken almost all of the diggers ive used.
bet one ive bought yet was from ace hardware(lifetime warrenty), but its blade length is only 4 inches.
po box 157
genoa wv 25517

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The idea looks ok.

Heres a rough drawing of what I'd like to see:
Digger.JPG
Digger2.JPG

The "V" on the top is to easier got on top of roots and just cut them open. (simply by pushing down wards)
The cut out white part is just to symbolize saw teeth, paint ain't perfect. :tongue3:
The handle isn't perfectly drawn either; I'm to lazy. But it shows the idea. :)

A bigger end cap would be great, more place to push the digger down into the earth, it can make it easier. Also don't use to thick steel; it will make it harder to dig.
Stainless steel is neat. :)

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey extractor was that some kinda big guy joke lol I dont get it .

Attachments

• SDC10264.JPG
    SDC10264.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 2,953
  • SDC10264.JPG
    SDC10264.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 2,925

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Very sturdy looking tool you created NWGA Relic Hunter!
Im sure it will perform as you intended it to.

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and replies. I will difinitely keep the suggestions in mind.

My main concerns right now are to make it as tough and durrable as possible, while keeping the weight down at the same time. The current prototypes are made out of 11 ga steel (about the same thickness as other popular diggers like the lesche) so its not heavy. But to make it durrable, it needs to be made out of a high carbon steel so that it can be hardened and tempered. Right now I'm in the process of getting some quotes on sheets of high carbon steel (among other materials). I don't want to build an inferior digging tool (there's already plenty of them on the market). I want to build a nearly indestructable tool that will last a lifetime. So this will be a slow process.. It most likely won't be on the market anytime soon.. but if I have my way about it, the final product will be very nice and very tough.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
put me on the list to i am a digging tool aholic i have about 7 different types and 4 different shovels so hey keep me in mind i digg all year round and it freezes here in missouri as shark pit i sent him some pics of me from last winter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread