Best Bug repellant out there.....Who makes it?

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have found a small bottle of repel with 100% deet in the sporting goods section of the store wal mart..............It is a little pump spray...I applied skin so soft first then I sprayed the 100% deet on my socks and inside of my pant legs before I put my shoes on yesterday and after detecting last night I took off my shoes and it had made the leather tounge on my shoes leak into my socks. I guess the effect is like that spray G.I. bug juice that some of you have talked about making plastic soft...........Well needless to say I did not have any problems while out detecting yesterday.........I also got my chiggaway today in the mail so maybe there will be some hope of me looking more before winter kicks in!!!!! Later guys, Tim

Mr Rutledge

Dec 21, 2009
If you want to get the very best repellent, try "Bite Blocker." Its all natural and it really works. I know because I tested 5 different brands a couple of years ago at the Santee Coastal Reserve near McClellanville, South Carolina. Bite Blocker wins hands down. The bugs just can't stand it! Do NOT get it in your eyes or on your lips. It will burn. Go to the internet and que in Bite Blocker. I prefer the spray over the lotion. There are tens of thousands of mosquitoes around you and on you during warm/hot weather there. If you want your clothes to be TOTALLY bite free, try Permanone by REPEL. It comes in an aerosol container. Bass Pro Shop usually carries it. YOU WILL BE BITE FREE when used on your clothes. Just be sure to follow the directions. As for CHIGGERS, try getting an ice cube from the freezer, hold it in a hand towel, keep the face of the cube exposed and press it to the bite. Hold it on the bite till it goes numb. Bet it won't itch you again! This really works too. FORGET THE FINGERNAIL POLISH, bleach, etc. Oh, by the way, the old wives tale about the chigger burrowing into your skin is totally untrue. Again, go to the internet and check out the pesky little boogers. Back many years ago, we used to spray a fine mist of kerosene around our pants legs/shoes and along the waist. This works too! We have more bugs here on the coast of South Carolina than you could ever imagine! If you want to talk about bugs, hit me up. I think that the mosquito should be our State Bird! Only kidding.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best bug repellent? Mother natures cold weather... The best! :notworthy: :tongue3: ;D

Otherwise "Mygga" works well... But you probably don't have in over there? :-\

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I just went online to look up chiggers. I found out a lot I didn't know.
I do know I'll be using bug repellent every time I go out in the weeds
looks like that product called ultrathon will probably be in my arsenal this year

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Shortstack said:
I used this stuff in Alaska where stinging gnats would fly up in dark clouds out of bushes.

Were you stationed in Alaska? I spent 2 years at Ft Richardson and your right about the army issue stuff worked like a charm

itsmymind

Nov 25, 2009
SE Ks.
Detector(s) used
MXT
In case you do get chigger bites. My grandmother would but a little laundry bluing in out bath water. The result was immediate and permanent relief.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
itsmymind said:
In case you do get chigger bites. My grandmother would but a little laundry bluing in out bath water. The result was immediate and permanent relief.

Hey itsmymind what is laundry bluing?

itsmymind

Nov 25, 2009
SE Ks.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Laundry blueing was used years ago to make the sheets,pillow cases smell even better. I don't know if you can still find it or not as I have not looked for it. My memories are from the 1960's. She still had a wringer washer and hung the laundry on a clothes line. The blueing was in a small bottle and she would only add a drop or 2 for the laundry or for the bath water in case of chiggers. My wife tells me you can still get it but I don't know where. Might try a search on internet. Hope this helps......Found this after doing a quick search and many for things came up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(fabric) sorry I don't have the skills to give a useable link but this should help you.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I used to have good luck with "Maimum Strength" Cutter. it was 100% Deet. Once I tried a Thermacell, I haven't used anything else.
Dan

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to use 100% DEET but have found something that works as well on mosquitoes, blackflys and "no see ums" here in NY (no chiggers, hereabouts, so I can't say) and it does not melt plastic or blind you if it gets near your eyes. The name is "Badger Bug Balm" and it is a greasy, wax-like ointment. Actually smells kind of nice and you can put it all over your face.

I fly giant scale R/C airplanes and when a bug gets behind your glasses as you have both hands flying a model a bug in the eye can be an expensive problem. And black flies seem to love eyeballs. The Bug Balm prevents this.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
itsmymind said:

Sounds like Grandmother had a sense of humor :laughing9: :notworthy: Not only did she fix your bug problem, she & the other mothers got a good chuckle watching the smurf toddle down the road for a week or so. ::) ::) ::)

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
bigtim1973 said:
itsmymind said:

Hey itsmymind what is laundry bluing?

It can be found in the laundry soap section in grocery stores. Mrs. Stewarts is the only one I know of.

In addition to sprays or if you are sensitive to sprays try the OFF clip on. You put a pad in the dispenser and turn it on. A fan creates a sort of invisible cloud around you, I have had great success with it but thankfully do not have to deal with chiggers in my area.

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009
I have a question about Thermacell... The videos always show the unit being placed on the ground or some other surface. They sell a holster, but it seems to indicate that it is just for transporting it. Can you wear the unit while it is operating? Also, does it work when there is wind? The wind here does not stop the mosquitoes and it is usually windy.

Thanks!
-Mike-

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
If Blueing is not available to bath in. Add a cup of Vinegar to bath water as hot as you can stand it. The vinegar bath also works for ticks.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know this sounds crazy, but try putting tooth paste on a bit. don't know why but it stops the iching. just a small dab and spread it around alittle bit, not too much.
sure do have some interesting information here. thanks much to all for all your info. take care and be safe out there. ron

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listening to all that has been said already , I will certainly take heed of the advice if I ever get out of the desert . Out here we don't really don't have a bug problem .Thanks everyone for the tips.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
Listening to all that has been said already , I will certainly take heed of the advice if I ever get out of the desert . Out here we don't really don't have a bug problem .Thanks everyone for the tips.

Don't you have sand fleas in the desert? We had those little suckers back home in Texas and they are a pain in the you know what too!!!

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
The supply room at my job is stocked with this certain bug repellent, 98% deet, can get you a bottle if you like?

-J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread