question about stainless steel

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
(actually a few questions about scoops..sry)

What is better for a beach scoop? T 304 or 316, I Was talking to someone that might try to make one..he said 316 is stronger and he was saying that the holes should be 1/4.
I know that is not typically used on scoops, isn't 5/8 the normal size?

The other thing is on the design, what is preferred, round or diamond shaped like sunspot scoop? All I see on videos is round, I see the diamond advantage is to pick around rocks with the point.

If you were given your choice of either free of charge, which would you pick?

Lastly, is 6 inch round by 12 deep....a good size, or would it be better a bit bigger. The sunspot is 6.5 or 8 inch wide, what do you prefer here.

BTW...if anyone has links to videos with the diamond scoops, can you post here, would like to see a closeup next to a ruler or someones shoes. Sometimes they look small until you see one next to some guys head.

Looks like I'm going to a design at home to get an idea...Excal 2 is calling my name.

Thanks all.....

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I would go with the 316 over the 304.
The tensile strength of 316 is higher than 304(89,900 vs 73,200) and a higher yield strength(60,200 vs 31,200).
The alloy addition of molybdenum prevents specific forms of corrosion. It is also known as marine grade stainless steel due to its increased resistance to chloride corrosion compared to type 304.
Most holes in scoops are 1/2" or 5/8".
Style, design. and size, is a choice you have to fit your needs and use.

Best at ya!
Wayne

OP
OP
syko

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
What about the thickness? I just happened to stop by a metal supplier because of work today, and I told a couple of those
guys what I wanted to do. They said they have the tools to make most anything..also said how about using perforated steel?

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Using standard perforated metal may limit your design because of the pattern it comes in?
Most stainless scoops are made using 304, in a 16 or 14 metal gauge.
The where and how a scoop is used will dictate the design. And everyone has their own idea as to the perfect scoop!
Without question, the perfect metal for a beach scoop is titanium! But, I only know of two that's been made, by a crazy guy from Tennessee... But, I've never been accused of being sane! :laughing7:

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Number9 said:
Using standard perforated metal may limit your design because of the pattern it comes in?
Most stainless scoops are made using 304, in a 16 or 14 metal gauge.
The where and how a scoop is used will dictate the design. And everyone has their own idea as to the perfect scoop!
Without question, the perfect metal for a beach scoop is titanium! But, I only know of two that's been made, by a crazy guy from Tennessee... But, I've never been accused of being sane! :laughing7:

Hey number9 Don't forget about that crazy guy from California. That makes 3 known! LOL. Ti scoops that is.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
OOPS!!
Sorry about that!

I'm still looking for the right titanium metal... so you won't be the only one that's made a nice digg'n tool!

Best at ya!
Wayne

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Number9 said:
OOPS!!
Sorry about that!

I'm still looking for the right titanium metal... so you won't be the only one that's made a nice digg'n tool!

Best at ya!
Wayne

Wayne, I can see that your knowledge of metallurgy is far greater than mine, so what do you think of making a digger from grade 5 then heat treating would be the best way to go?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread