non metalic floating sifter

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to make a floating sifter that you could pass your detector over without it going off unless you scooped up something metal. I've noticed guys scooping in the surf, rechecking the hole and if they still have a signal they just empty the scoop and scoop up more. Who's to say there wasn't a target in the scoop? I've found more than one target clumped together, especially in the water. I made this one so it all snaps apart for cleaning. Ideally I would like to use an inner tube but I can't find one with a plastic valve. Ever heard of one? I tested this one in my bathtub and you can put a lot of weight in it and it still floats.I designed it so the part with the holes sits about an inch below the surface of the water. The Lexan disc is completely unbreakable, you can smash your scoop on it and not harm it. The styrofoam tire spacer I found on eBay. I work at a glass co. so the Lexan was free. Total cost: $20. Looking forward to your input...Rich.

Attachments

• sifter resized.jpg
    sifter resized.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 466
  • sifter resized2.jpg
    sifter resized2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 456
  • sifter resized3.jpg
    sifter resized3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 476
  • surf sifter.jpg
    surf sifter.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 476
  • sifter resized.jpg
    sifter resized.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 450
  • sifter resized2.jpg
    sifter resized2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 455
  • sifter resized3.jpg
    sifter resized3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 444
  • surf sifter.jpg
    surf sifter.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 442

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Try using those foam noodle things they use in pools. They're about $4 in the stores. Colorful too !!! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread