Homemade sluices

Shake n Flake

Jun 3, 2010
Midtown Sac
A friend and I are unemployed, and we live in Gold Country. So we are trying to pay a few bills this summer by prospecting. We don't have money to buy equipment, though we're finding a lot of Dollar Store stuff that works. The one thing we really need, though, is a sluice. I'm looking for examples of DIY sluices, both on this site and any others.

Gobpile

Mar 19, 2010
Underground
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Garrett GTI2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try craigslist also,I would really try to get one that is professionally made, keene and jobe are good examples.You want to recover all the gold you can.Maybe even start out sniping with gold pans and cherry pick the best places and use the profits to buy better equipment.I started out this way.Good Luck!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google up sluice, there's tons of videos, plans etc. out there. Check out your local junk yard. A waly through might lead you to some good material for constructing one for pennies per pound. Look at duct work piles you may be able to find a piece of square duct. Cut it in half, you got two sluices. Grab up a handful of angle, or bend a strip from the sides of your duct for riffles. You can bend a flare from a piece of sheet metal or just make a wing dam with rocks. Two screws a handful of poprivets, a strip of outdoor carpet (carpet stores will usually give you a piece if they have it) and you're good to go! Not as shiney as store bought, but if you're seeing color who cares.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
For fine gold try googleing "Poop-tube" or "Henry-Henry" sluice.
< $10 and you are set to go.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread