carring protection

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal Detecting, Atving, Geocaching, anything outdoors!!! Has been a couple of people shot while atving around here, we have thousands of miles of roads, trails, paths, and strip jobs to ride and run into all kinds,,, Remember Kentucky's #1 cash crop is weed and moonshine, no joke!!

Attachments

• smith_and_wesson_686___357_magnum_1302.jpg
    smith_and_wesson_686___357_magnum_1302.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 779

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end the decision isn't yours to make. It's made for you by the threat. Do I want to live or die. Am I willing to do what it takes to survive. Have the mindset to make the decision if it becomes absolutely neccesary but in the end the bad guy makes the decision for you by putting your life in danger. Then ones survival instinct naturally kicks in. Just my 2 cents worth!

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dld said:
maipenrai said:
Just a silly question, but why would you carry a gun if your out metal detecting?
For protection
Is someone going to steal your detector, or your wheatie?
or take your life
Carring a gun in a park? Do you carry a gun when having a pick nik, or swimming on the beach?
yes,yes,yes, grocery shopping, raking leaves, just about every where it is legal, because it is legal to do so
If I had a gun, not sure who I should shoot with it.
good thing you don't have one, you must depend on 911
Conceled weapon? Loaded weapon in your car? Seems like you would be out asking for trouble.
No, protecting your self from trouble, If it is concealed then nobody but you will know you have it
Do you plan on detecting under a crack house?
Not under but all around the crack house
I would think that if your paranoid, best to just have another friend with you.
then there would be two people carrying guns, not paranoid just safe
Wouldnt it be easier to just walk away from a ify situation?
of course if you are able or can, but if you can't? I just don't want to become a victim, but if its OK with you to become a victim one thats fine with me
AMEN

M

mikusek

All legal and honest citizens should be packing a gun, makes for a more civilized and a much more polite society.

It boils down to being a CITIZEN, or being a victim, subject, or corpse.

Citizens have rights, subjects don't. I choose to be a citizen.

B

Bev

Carrying a firearm is a big decision. I carry pepper spray just because I'm not ready to take on the responsibility of being a gun owner. I do have a silly question. If an officer approaches you, if you have a sharp large digging tool, are you supposed to tell him so he knows or even put on the ground while you speak?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. Just keep your hands where they can be seen and be polite.

If you say: "I have a sharp knife", that can be taken as a statement or a threat.

B

Bev

Thank you, I appreciate that. I had a debate with a retired state policeman about the difference between my "garden digger" and what constitutes a "concealed weapon". Never really got a conclusive answer.

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Compass Liberty 100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe carrying a weapon is a personal choice that should not be taken lightly. I have a concealed carry permit and so far my weapon has remained concealed 100% of the time. I hope it stays that way. Here is what I carry.

5060477577_881f61c8b3.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; For me, I'm 6'2" and 240lbs. with a "lot" of training in MMA and 6 years "in" the Ring. Try it. It's fun. Especially when you see scum crumbling before your very eyes. I like things to be personal that way. !! Just in case I could use my 9mm Blue Steel Smithy Semi Auto if I need to. I've only had 3 incidents in 39 years of detecting and 3 while not detecting. They "all" ended badly for the scum. The handcuffs provided by our Finest also worked very well and yes I can, will and definitely DO Prosecute the scum to the fullest "EVERY" time. I suggest you guys do the same.If you don't then the scum "will" nail someone else. Someone has to take a Stand sometime. As an American I will and am glad to Stand up against these scum every time and yes I am just as ruthless when it comes to doing so. My Rule of Thumb is very simple so even they can understand it. I'm a nice guy. I'll help anyone I can. BUUUUT , my Rule is that "if your nice to me, I'm nice to you. If you mess with me I'll "completely" destroy you and if I have to I'll track you from here from here to Pluto to get you then you can bet I "WILL". Simple isn't it. !!! Anyways, enough said. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright: ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev said:
Thank you, I appreciate that. I had a debate with a retired state policeman about the difference between my "garden digger" and what constitutes a "concealed weapon". Never really got a conclusive answer.

Carry your digger out in the open. Not concealed or weaponly. :wink:

Attachments

• HPIM1702.JPG
    HPIM1702.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 388

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dld said:
maipenrai said:
Just a silly question, but why would you carry a gun if your out metal detecting?
For protection
Is someone going to steal your detector, or your wheatie?
or take your life
Carring a gun in a park? Do you carry a gun when having a pick nik, or swimming on the beach?
yes,yes,yes, grocery shopping, raking leaves, just about every where it is legal, because it is legal to do so
If I had a gun, not sure who I should shoot with it.
good thing you don't have one, you must depend on 911
Conceled weapon? Loaded weapon in your car? Seems like you would be out asking for trouble.
No, protecting your self from trouble, If it is concealed then nobody but you will know you have it
Do you plan on detecting under a crack house?
Not under but all around the crack house
I would think that if your paranoid, best to just have another friend with you.
then there would be two people carrying guns, not paranoid just safe
Wouldnt it be easier to just walk away from a ify situation?
of course if you are able or can, but if you can't? I just don't want to become a victim, but if its OK with you to become a victim one thats fine with me
You hit the nail right on the head!. If im sitting on my pourch in the evening,my glocks close, If i go to the store my glocks close, If we good people don't carry...Bad guy's will be the only one with them, I will not be the top six o'clock story of someone being killed for the detector so the crackhead could get another hit! Ya might see me on there as the old fart who killed the crackhead instead of being robbed! jmo

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also in the state of Georgia. I carry a K-bar fighting knife with a Tanto blade, a gift from my nephew on his return from Afganistan, I asked a city cop the law. He said anything over3.5 inches is considered a concelled weapon,But with my knife in a sheath tied down it was in the open and lawfull, it too has the habit of telling people to be nice, :thumbsup:

This is my digging tool, in nice yards

spud

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i've watched bruce lee movies,and a few episodes of walker---i'm ready

TraumaChaser

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield XMd 9mm or H&K 40. Cal. I love living in Indiana I were them proudly.

majindi

Greenie
Jul 9, 2011
:BangHead:After two trips in the Kimberleys of west australia, and wanting protection from the blacks and the crocodiles both are seriously bad, I decided on a legal and very efficient piece of gear. A Paslode gas nail gun not too many would argue with this, although I also am ugly enough to scare off the average opportunist.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
majindi said:
:BangHead:After two trips in the Kimberleys of west australia, and wanting protection from the blacks and the crocodiles both are seriously bad, I decided on a legal and very efficient piece of gear. A Paslode gas nail gun not too many would argue with this, although I also am ugly enough to scare off the average opportunist.

Paslode gas nail gun? I have used nail guns on roofing and shot them in play at the guys across the street but they were hooked to a long hose for the air pressure.
Bit of a drag , um , dragging around a generator and compressor and hose ang nail gun all the time.
Grey

majindi

Greenie
Jul 9, 2011
Goodaye Grey,

This is the latest gas electric cordless will put a ninety mill nail into hardwood from five meters. and is as lift as feather.

These ones are not to play with, I know the ones chippies use for construction in the states.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose . . . but that seems like a lot to carry

This one is over seven pounds without nails! Probably more effective as a club than a gun. That's twice what my detector weighs.
8222.jpg

Easier to slip one of these in your boot (SOG Mini-Pentagon).

SOG-Pentagon-Mini-M14-350x350.gif

majindi

Greenie
Jul 9, 2011
Yes thats the one,

carry a pig knife twice that length,

basically we have very strict gun laws, and hunting rifles are all we can legally carry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread