Pinpointer- necessary luxury?

TampaNative

Oct 12, 2010
I am VERY new to detecting, having just bought a White's Coinmaster Pro last week, and only have about 30 minutes of coil swinging under my belt so far. Although I am telling myself to limit my spending on this new hobby until I find out if it is for me or not, I am finding myself wondering about a pinpointer. I thought I'd ask the opinion of the group here.

Like I said, I really haven't gotten any real time in with my detector but I've already dug some holes that were either way bigger than they needed to be or completely unproductive. I know I have a lot to learn about my machine and all, but I'm wondering if a pinpointer might spare me some potentially hobby-killing disappointment and discouragement. The pinpoint function of the detector seems to be rather vague.

So,what is the opinion of the group? Are most people that are serious about the hobby using a pinpointer? I'll spend the money if it is going to make a difference in my enjoyment of the hobby, as I really want this to work out. Finally, do the pinpointers (specifically the Garrett ProPointer) come into play before you dig a plug or is their useful range limited to searching around an already dug hole?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer this newbie!

snazzypit

Aug 2, 2010
North Jersey
If you are digging in lawns, and parks, i would say definitely get one. I MDed without a pinpointer for a few months,a nd can tell you that sine i purchased mine, i have found targets so much faster and with much less digging. Especially with shallow targets. It also helps when you find multiple targets at once. The expense is well worth it, it will help you enjoy the hobby more

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
You'll probably hear this more than a few times. I won't hunt without it anymore. If the target is shallow, sometimes you can find it before you dig. Mostly after you cut the plug is when it comes into play. You need plenty of time to learn your machine too. Those holes will get smaller and more precise as you gain experience, so dig in and practice. You'll probably find that it will help get the targets recovered faster. So that means more ground covered in a given time. I think I'd stay with the Cen Tech for $15.00 until you are sure you like the hobby. However, you can always find a buyer for the Garrett. The Garrett is a darn good pinpointer.

OP
OP
T

TampaNative

Oct 12, 2010
slowNsteady said:
You'll probably hear this more than a few times. I won't hunt without it anymore. If the target is shallow, sometimes you can find it before you dig. Mostly after you cut the plug is when it comes into play. You need plenty of time to learn your machine too. Those holes will get smaller and more precise as you gain experience, so dig in and practice. You'll probably find that it will help get the targets recovered faster. So that means more ground covered in a given time. I think I'd stay with the Cen Tech for $15.00 until you are sure you like the hobby. However, you can always find a buyer for the Garrett. The Garrett is a darn good pinpointer.

Both of you, thanks for replying. SlowNSteady, I've heard that CenTech is a headache waiting to happen, so I'd probably go all in on a Garrett- "buy once, cry once" mantra applys. If for some reason this hobby isn't for me, it is good to know I should be able to sell off the ProPointer with ease.

I guess the consensus is going to be that a pinpointer is indeed a "Necessary Luxury", huh?

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've detected for years without a pinpointer, then a few years ago the wife got me a vibraprobe and its been very handy, i also went out and got a centec from harbor freight and love it, that was the best 15 bucks i ever spent, infact i leave the vibraprobe at home. i seem to get more depth outa the centec then i do the vibraprobe and the handy carry bag is great, plus the LED light on the centec is also nice. for 15 bucks ya can't go wrong. the only problems i hear are with the power button and with cleaning thats no big deal. also put a piece of tape over the speaker cause its loud. but ya also can't go wrong with the garrett, if anything happens garretts customer service is top notch. pinpointer just make life so much easier. :icon_sunny:

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider one a Necessary Luxury. Sure you can get by without one, but you will spend far less time trying to find your target with one. And like mentioned if the target is within a couple inches of the surface you can pinpoint it before you start to dig or probe. I would highly recommend the Garrett Pro Pointer.

OP
OP
T

TampaNative

Oct 12, 2010
Thanks so much for the assistance, everyone. I guess this is settled- I'll be picking up a ProPointer this week. ;D

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I'll bet Mr. Garrett loves us for recommending his pinpointer all the time. :laughing7: Oh well, enjoy it!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the white's bullseye 2, I like the light on it :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread